Author Topic: growing blueberry  (Read 2530 times)

hesperis2000

• Not So New ...
growing blueberry
« on: February 24, 2005, 12:45:43 »
i just wondered if anybody was doing well with blueberry, my old 'bluejay' bushes havnt been doing too well in recent years
I am fairly familiar with the cultivation required (PH and the like) i am just wondering if different or newer varieties were doing better
 They are completely delicious but If ever anything was expensive in the shops, its blueberry- ouch !

The wee' billberies' grow wild everywhere in scotland but aint worth cultivation at allotment level- not productive enough- although nice little shrubs

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
Re: growing blueberry
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 11:35:37 »
i have a blueberry called blue crop it will be it's first year at the plot so i will let you know how it gets on. ken muir does a good selection of blues?
Jemma

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 16:09:22 »
I've got a Bluecrop and Herbert but also this will be their first year on my plot so don't imagine I'll get too many berries. My children love blueberries and eat them like sweets (they prefer them to sweets in fact) but as you say they are so expensive to buy.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 12:55:38 »
My garden is alkaline but I have blueberries in pots and cropping well.  Goldtraube 71 was the first and was recommended for flavour.  It's 5 yrs old now and in a 60cm square pot.  The younger one is Berkeley and since I bought it, 3 yrs ago, Goldtraube has been much more productive.  They get regular watering with my hard tap water and alternating feeds of sequestered iron and tomato feed during the growing season. 
Obxx - Vendée France

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 13:14:20 »
They need protecting from the birds. In our garden they berries were eaten when they were still white!. Evein the the fruit cage the blackbirds manage to get at them!
Gardening is the great leveller.

hesperis2000

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 16:55:47 »
yes thanks to all for blueberry advice- they are delicious, but   i am going to have to be buying them for a bit longer i think

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 19:44:58 »
Bluecrop are £3 for a small boxed plant in Big W (woolworths).  Not sure how good they will be though....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal