Author Topic: Interesting potatoes to swap...  (Read 2934 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Interesting potatoes to swap...
« on: September 08, 2012, 19:15:22 »
OK I've been harvesting and it looks like I'll have swappable quantities of the following ...

Congo :plenty
Negresse: plenty
Lumper: Very limited

ALso some RUssian BLue seedlings I call Jayblu, a second early/early main blue-fleshed variety that doesn't attract slugs (they eat it if they find it but they can't radar in the way they do with Salad Blue. It's more purple than Salad Blue too.

Great Western Rodent... A Ratte seedling that grows into large slightly irregular oval tubers, culinary uses to be confirmed but you get some big ones adn it's been a useless year for potatoes on  my plot adn these have done well...Each plant knocked out four or five big tubers plus some smaller ones to use for seed, doesn't attract slugs, but doesn't deter them so they'll eat if they find them. Given that the female pareent at least is Ratte they should taste OK adn they're nothing like as knobbly as you expect of a Ratte.

chrisc

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Interesting potatoes to swap...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 19:19:06 »
Oh, I'm interested in autumn raspberries, cambridge favourite strawberries, any interesting or offbeat soft fruit, any Heinz variety tomatoes, also shelling beans.... I'm always interested in shelling beans....

BTW, the handful at the top of the picture came from one plant I suspect of being a runt.... the rest came from the other four plants, biggies I'll eat, and the smaller ones are still a chunk bigger than the little things I planted to get these...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 19:55:21 »
I've got Negresse, but I'd be interested in a few Congo. We get blight so regularly that Lumpers would probably be futile.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 20:02:52 »
Love the name - Great Western Rodent  ;D

Despite being wiped by blight I had enough tubers for a taster meal of Jayblu, pretty good, and enough to grow a few next year, cheers.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 21:07:56 »
I've only got some tomato seeds out of your "wants" but I'd love to try a Jayblu and Great Western Rodent!

Sorry to admit that the Ratte x micro tuburs that you sent me last year did not make it. I kept them as cool as possilbe but they started to shoot early, then the cold weather meant I tried to hold them back as dare not plant them out as there were great long shoots on them. I think they put all the effort into to shoot which then left them nothing to grow with as despite carful potting on as soon as they went outside they dissapeared :(

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:26:30 »
I've got Negresse, but I'd be interested in a few Congo. We get blight so regularly that Lumpers would probably be futile.

They'er better than some, Yetholm Gypsy is an absolute sod in this respect as it's foliage isn't badly affected but the tubers get it bad.... i've had rotting horrors just fall apart in my hands as I've picked them up.... King Edward none too clever either (hardly surprising YG is a KE seedling)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 01:29:45 »
I've only got some tomato seeds out of your "wants" but I'd love to try a Jayblu and Great Western Rodent!

Sorry to admit that the Ratte x micro tuburs that you sent me last year did not make it. I kept them as cool as possilbe but they started to shoot early, then the cold weather meant I tried to hold them back as dare not plant them out as there were great long shoots on them. I think they put all the effort into to shoot which then left them nothing to grow with as despite carful potting on as soon as they went outside they dissapeared :(

Oh well, never mind... and least the second batch made it... I'm blessed with some cold windowsills (but not too cold).... the selected seeds will be going on them pretty soon....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal