Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 1868 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Carrots
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:20:19 »
I planted some carrots in a tub and they were too close together so I have replanted them all, just read on the internet that carrots shouldn't be replanted, just thinned out.  The other carrots I planted have come up (so I thought) near the potatoes, but think they are not carrots but 'love in a mist' seeds that have spread.  Think I will continue to buy my carrots from Morrisons, but next year will be better.  I will get a long wooden box and rise it up and plant them.  People on allotment seem very successful with this method.  Just speaking to my brother and all his carrots in the garden disappeared whilst he was away on holiday.  He does have deer come into his garden, or maybe slugs or birds have eaten them.  Good news is my peas are brill.  ;D ;D ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Carrots
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:24:35 »
I have only just sown some Autumn King! Since the weather seems more carrot like, I have my fingers crossed! I also sowed more radish and spring onions, which I wouldn't normally do now (too hot usually). I too have had the best peas and potatoes this year...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:32:24 »
I have sown the same variety(amsterdam forcing 3 ) for the last 3 years but this year they are useless thus far.
All pot sown same as before watered as before same carrot growing medium.....just not worked.

Gonna try some more just to see if the warmer/wetter current weather might bring a better growth.

and yes.....like you......my peas are abundant beyong belief.... :D

Gazza

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 14:45:36 »
Don't give up on your carrots just yet. You just need to know how to grow them that's all.

Carrots should be thinned rather than transplanted between 1-3 inches apart depending on the variety and how big you want them to grow.

It's not difficult and once you have mastered it your home grown carrots will taste twenty times better than anything you can buy in Morrisons. ;)

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 19:57:49 »
I sowed autumn king two days ago, in a 6 sq` raised bed and I rotate crops. Same size bed last year and I had an amazing crop after sowing in july.

Soil was still moist but I knew the `heat` was coming and yes it felt like the right time. I covered the bed with fleece to keep the cats off and any heavy rain and now it is fingers crossed for the next three weeks

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 22:34:42 »
Carrots, the best crop to eat but not always the easiest to grow, i was going to put a poto of mine on but then thought about green eyed monsters LOL
They do best in raised bed 12" at least in a mix of 2 x soil to 1 x compost or peat and 1 x sharp sand all riddled twice and mixed. I just use Fish Blood & Bone for the fertiliser either into the mix or into the bed.
Keep them moist, if you let them dry out they will split the next time they get watered.
I dont go with pulling them to thin them out, mostly i just leave them till they are big enough for the pot, but if i have to thin out i just cut the tops off with scissors because if they are to close together they may have entwined so i would be pulling two carrots out insted of just the one.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:03:06 »
Ours, sowed in march in a raised bed, under a fleece which stays on all the time, are doing great. the bed is about 18" tall but we have had carrot fly last year so completely emptied it and re-filled it with soil, compost and a bag of mp on the top to stop weeds.
I sow a few seeds in each station for small bunches as i can't separate the seeds  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal