Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth  (Read 2015 times)

ber77tie

• Half Acre
Queen Elizabeth
« on: June 28, 2012, 22:49:41 »
I have a rose which I think is called Queen Elizabeth.For the last 3 years it flowers with just one rose on the bush.Am I doing something wrong and how can I get it to flower more profusely?Any ideas please!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 23:07:21 »
 I have bought that rose this year & it has 2 buds on it now . Have you been feeding it & pruning it at the right time? Does it seem to have any greenfly at all if so wash it off with soapy water. It must be well established by now.
I hope it all comes right for you Bertie it is a lovely rose good luck.
Rosebud ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 00:21:38 »
I had one for many years, it is a floribunda rather than a hybrid T.  Are you perhaps pruning it too hard or not feeding it enough?   It is a large strong growing plant.  Do you have other roses, did you plant it where other roses had been growing?  Do your neighbours have roses.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:32:43 »
I beliee it is a Grandiflora and will grow 5 fett high, a lovely rose XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 19:22:34 »
It's a floribunda, but in some places it's called a grandiflora (is there any difference) so you're both right. Do you prune it, and if so, how? If the answer's no, it probably needs cutting back, not too harshly, after flowering. I know someone who used to prune roses in spring, and they were just skeletons with a few leaves and the odd flower till I persuaded her to try autumn pruning. I just run the hedge cutter over mine when they've finished if they need a trim, but they don't get it every year, and it's never more than a trim.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 19:24:16 by Robert_Brenchley »

ber77tie

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 21:40:32 »
Thanks for your comments. TThe actual bush looks healthy (the only rose I have in the garden).I have not pruned it in the 3 years as I believed it was a tall rose.I remembered one in a neighbours garden as a kid.I really want to get it flowering or feel I should remove it as 1 flower does not justify the space.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 04:42:50 »
Robert, sorry I forgot where I was.

Over here there are  the usual climbers, ramblers plus hybrid teas, floribunda and grandiflora, grandiflora being much taller than the floribunda.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 02:19:19 »
Trim it back and see what happens. One of mine barely flowered last year; I cut it back by about half, and it's now covered in bloom, and much more neatly shaped.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 15:23:54 »
Due partly to the confusion between florabunda, grandiflora,polyantha etc. they are all now listed as cluster roses or H.T. by the R.H.S. I think it all depended on how many microsomes ( spelt wrong)  each had.

It's a floribunda, but in some places it's called a grandiflora (is there any difference) so you're both right. Do you prune it, and if so, how? If the answer's no, it probably needs cutting back, not too harshly, after flowering. I know someone who used to prune roses in spring, and they were just skeletons with a few leaves and the odd flower till I persuaded her to try autumn pruning. I just run the hedge cutter over mine when they've finished if they need a trim, but they don't get it every year, and it's never more than a trim.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal