Author Topic: dahlias  (Read 1884 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
dahlias
« on: June 19, 2012, 05:53:41 »
Is it a wee bit soon for Dahlias to flower,I can't remember them coming out so early last year?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: dahlias
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:01:18 »
The slugs are enjoying mine  :( but yes, I'd say it's early, especially with the weather we've had.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:52:31 »
Its just right, the ones we grew as tubers are in flower and the cuttings are not to far behind them.
This was my first dahlia flower of the year we call it Brand Harris small. In May.
cant wait for the rest and all those lovely vases of flowers to come.
x sunloving

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:04:02 »
I replanted all six tubers on 21st March.  The first leaves emerged about  three weeks ago, after sitting sulking in the cold wet soil for two months.  Four out of the six have made it so far.  They're going to be a long time getting to the stage of flowers- I'll probably be in Sweden then and miss it!

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 16:27:52 »
That photo is beautiful a real stunner of a dahlia,my flowers ain't fully open yet a few sunny days and they should be out ;)I had someone take a photo when we were away of my Iris Id never see it in flower till this yr had it 5yrs just we always went away when it was in flower  ;D

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 22:01:21 »
I've a few of the small ones i grew from seed last year in bud but the taller ones have got a long way to go yet. They were very late getting started. i was surprised they hadn't started shooting before I hauled them out of hibernation but we had to inspect carefully to see signs of life. Some didn't make it but this year they have their own space in the veg garden instead of the border so hopefully I shall see when the slugs launch their attack. Nemslug ordered and will be applied this week.... ;D We do a good line in slugs and snails over here and its the 'dry' side of the country ::)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:56:40 »
Slugs just love them. Every year i plant them hopefully in the front garden and every year they just end up slime sticks within weeks!

but when they do make it they are awesome! x sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal