Author Topic: Blackfly ON rhubarb leaves  (Read 10553 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
Blackfly ON rhubarb leaves
« on: June 22, 2012, 14:57:16 »
I know rhubarb leaves can be used to make a solution that gets rid of blackfly.  But I have a really bad infestation of blackfly on or rather underneath my rhubarb leaves.  It is just horrid. I don't quite understand how they can colonise them so completely when  the leaves themselves make a solution that blackfly don't like.  I clearly can't spray the plant with an insecticide as we are eating the rhubarb.  I've tried a solution of water and detergent.  Doesn't seem to be having much effect.  Has anyone any better suggestions, please?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Blackfly ON rhubarb leaves
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 16:20:50 »
I have never seen or heard anybody having blackfly attacking their rhubarb.. :o...perharps they are just keeping shelter from rain.. ::)
Alarming as it might look, I would not worry. I doubt they do much damage.
You could pull up the most affected leaves and use up those stalks first...
or..
make batch of washing up liquid water with drop of cooking oil and wash the leaves with soft sponge
or..
leave them be and wait for some predatory insects to arrive and deal with them for you

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 16:26:23 »
Have a go at jetwashing them off with water from the hose.

Everything seems to be getting eaten by something this year.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 17:11:26 »
Not thought of jet-washing them, Ellen.  I did that with mealybug on a crassula indoor plant last year with total success.  Thanks so much for reminding me.
I don't really want to leave them on the plants and trust to nature, as the mess they are making is landing on all the young leaves and all the stalks - yuk!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 17:32:27 »
"HOSE"!!??!

Here in East Sussex we are still on hosepipe ban.......drought at Battle but not at Hastings, as the Battle Observer headlines.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 17:50:27 »
Sorry Artichoke - here on the edge of the Pyreenees, water shortage is never (or has never been) a problem. Although we actually do all our watering with a can, via the well water, as our tap water is very very very expensive - apart from the need to jet hoe the rhubarb, that water never goes on the garden, except via the kitchen sink!

Bing

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 18:00:34 »
I have the same prob but it didn't seem to affact the plant, wired thing might be new veeiaty of blackfly, which is rhubarb toxic resistant.

I will drown themwith the leaves
Maybe after a few years, one will find swimming blackfly somewhere. ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 18:00:51 »
I was teasing, really. I certainly don't need a hose at the moment, with the rain teeming down. I did water in some transplanted beans the other day with a watering can, on a rare dry day.....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal