Author Topic: Halifax building Society  (Read 4445 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Halifax building Society
« on: June 24, 2012, 19:45:50 »
Good, bad, Indifferent?
We're with RBS who are getting taken over by santander who we have had bad customer service a few times in the past with ray's mum. Anyone had any dealings with Halifax?
Thanks for any advice  ;D

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Halifax building Society
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 20:17:29 »
They have very annoying tv adverts.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 20:23:33 »
 ;D ;D ;D
"They'll be there"

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 20:53:12 »
We are with the co-op they are fine. We left RBS due to the "renumeration" issues a few years ago.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 21:11:09 »
Halifax have been very good for me for the past 24 years.  I have most of their services at one time or another.  Also, just last week it appeared my card had been cloned and over £1000 was taken from my account making me overdrawn.  I phoned them to cancel my card, and order a replacement;  their fraud team immediately reimbursed my account - and now chasing the suspects no doubt.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 22:46:06 »
halifax/ bank of scotland/ lloyds banking services in my experience are hopelessly incompetent and I have closed all my accounts with them. I'm with Smile - internet branch of cooperative bank -  and they have been really good over the last 5-10 years.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 07:13:26 »
I've been with First Direct for nearly 20 years and they have been great- they regularly come top for customer satisfaction. All online or phone but if you need to pay in you can go to HSBC branches.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 07:23:08 »
We left what was the Midland bank and then HSBC after 60 years and went to Halifax and are quite satisfied with them.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 07:59:55 »

We are with the Halifax have been for years no problems . Someone took money out of our account unbeknown to us the fraud team contacted us before we were even aware of it . They had taken 2 £10 payments on the same day for a prepaid phone and a few pennies for a charity in the States.  The Halifax were really quickly onto it cancelled our cards  ands returned our money with very little inconvenience. Would definitely recommend them

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 08:14:37 »

We're with RBS who are getting taken over by santander

Really?  I haven't heard this.  Have they notified customers?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 08:59:36 »

yes, we've known for ages.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 09:20:42 »
I worked in financial services for 10 years and my view is that you're looking for the cleanest turd in the cesspit. All parasites, all out to flog stuff you don't want or need, all have their own areas of incompetence and all employ the occasional person who is competent and knows what they're doing, in order to lull you into a false sense of security.

<nb. I should point out - it's the institutions I have the problem with, not the poor cannon fodder sitting on the counters>
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:23:39 by OllieC »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 09:27:32 »
Couldn't have put that any better Ollie
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 17:51:49 »

Done a bit of reading up; it doesn't affect all customers (including me) which will be why I've not heard.  Panic over!  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 18:05:06 »

Lucky  ;D

Done a bit of reading up; it doesn't affect all customers (including me) which will be why I've not heard.  Panic over!  ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 08:04:10 »
I worked in financial services for 10 years and my view is that you're looking for the cleanest turd in the cesspit. All parasites, all out to flog stuff you don't want or need, all have their own areas of incompetence and all employ the occasional person who is competent and knows what they're doing, in order to lull you into a false sense of security.

<nb. I should point out - it's the institutions I have the problem with, not the poor cannon fodder sitting on the counters>

I guess that we hoped that by moving to the co-op there would be an ideological shift Ollie?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 08:56:50 »
well, this week has finally finished Santander off for us. We haven't been able to draw money or pay on our card for the last 5 days and no pension went in. We're off to the halifax tomorrow to take advantage of their generous £100 offer, they can't be any worse  ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 09:48:03 »

I guess that we hoped that by moving to the co-op there would be an ideological shift Ollie?

There should be shouldn't there, although I've seen them be just as quick to sting people for going a bit overdrawn and their mortgage underwriting was appalling...

From this link http://www.co-operative.coop/Corporate/PDFs/Annual_Report_2010.pdf - scroll down to Table 1 -they still paid someone called "Peter Marks" £2.1m last year. Nice work! He must be very good at his job.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 08:54:12 »
well, this week has finally finished Santander off for us. We haven't been able to draw money or pay on our card for the last 5 days and no pension went in. We're off to the halifax tomorrow to take advantage of their generous £100 offer, they can't be any worse  ;D

I see that the problem is now being laid on a junior IT operative in India. The blame has gone all the way to the bottom and this poor sod got the sh!t end of the stick. Paid peanuts I expect and you all know the old saying. The blame should start at the top and stay at the top, they made good workers redundant so they could out source the work on the cheap, now they are reaping what they have sown.

I have heard that the Virgin Bank is good. Early days yet but the bearded wonder is pretty good at what he does, (apart from ballooning)

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 09:25:24 »
smile is very good, been with co-op and smile for 40 years. No problems. Also save with virgin, they are good too. Don`t know about virgin bank but smile has quickly sorted any fraud on my card. I am not taking them for granted though, the last fraud was for over £2k, so I have lowered the cc limit and now pay quite a few via paypal as it is a filter.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal