Author Topic: Foxgloves and children.  (Read 18819 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Foxgloves and children.
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 09:04:35 »
I haven't seen many laburnum trees around lately, maybe they have gone out of fashion.  Loads of foxgloves about.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 08:36:07 »
I think people did get a bit paranoid about Laburnum and pushed it out of fashion - shame as rather a lovely tree. There's a great one growing on a heavily used PUBLIC, shock horror, footpath near to me (It'll probably be cut down when some worryguts recognises it and starts moaning).

This soppiness over any little perceived possible danger is getting very silly. Life is risky, get over it and get on with it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 19:53:31 »
I think there are so many things out there that can harm a child, even honeysuckle berries and virginia creeper and they look tempting. I think we have to teach children about eating things we don't give them and if they are too young to understand that then they shouldn't be unattended. It is pretty basic really much like hot things, we don't leave scalding hot stuff near children until they are old enough to have the sense to be careful,we keep them away from medicines, high cliffs, lakes etc plants should not be any different.

If there are plants in the your garden that may halm a child if it is old enough and understands the danger then leave it be, if the child is not at this stage then don't give the child the chance.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 07:01:34 »
Very sensible Jeannine  :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 09:58:03 »
Education.  We have a pond, laburnam, foxgloves, laurel, aconitum, hellebores, autumn crocus, hydrangea, marsh marigolds, periwinkle and so on and so on.  We have had all of these since my children were born and we have never ever had a problem, but then we didn't lock cupboards or put covers over plug sockets.  Education.  Imagine a garden without all of these things...you may as well just have lawn.  :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 19:39:52 »
I showed my daughter - then five - woody nightshade when I first had my plot. She had great fun running round showing people and pretending she was a witch. But she'd never have eaten it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal