Author Topic: Freesias from seed?  (Read 2136 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Freesias from seed?
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:19:32 »
Thats it really. Anyone had ago? Any tips or tricks that I should know about, I have an unheated GH.

Thanks

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: Freesias from seed?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:35:04 »
HI, Katy good compost soil, soil not to wet use a bottle spray you have more control when watering sow seeds on top of the compost lightly compress into the compost spray with water lightly cover with fine compost spray again cover with cling film. Plenty of light duringgermination and a constant temp of about 65F to 75 F for about 14 days or if you have a grow light all the better.Make sure the top dose not dry out under the cling film. A lot of seed catalog es will be selling a lot of plants off in the middle of the season you will be able to pick up quite a few varieties for a few pounds with a lot less fuss ;) :)
m j gravell

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 20:45:01 »
Thanks RP, I know you can buy them, but half the fun is doing it yourself!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:44:30 »
Well! This year has been an unmitigated disaster for beans, and almost everything else for me, but my seed sown freesias are starting to show themselves in an unheated GH. I have ignored them, watered occasionally and several times thought that the tray should just be binned, but there they are, looking like broad blades of grass at the moment, but definitely doing something.

The moral of the story seems to be never to give up!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 19:38:36 »
Fressias are my favourite flowers. I usually don't do flowers but I am vert tempted. Are the seeds readily available, I always thought it was just bulbs.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 19:50:47 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal