Author Topic: I'm feeling a bit fed up today  (Read 6099 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
I'm feeling a bit fed up today
« on: June 12, 2012, 15:40:07 »
I'm feeling a bit fed up today.

As secretary on our fairly large site I am expected to deal with the running of it.  This includes sending letters to people whose plots are getting neglected. In the past couple of months I have sent letters to ten people. None of them had done any work on their plots this year and the weeds by now are waist-high.

After he received his letter, one man phoned me and promised he would start work "this week".  That was three weeks ago and he still hasn't done anything.

Four weeks after receiving their letters and if there is no improvement the council will give them a Notice of Re-Entry.  This gives them a further month to improve it and if they don't, they council will give 1 week's notice to clear the plot.

In total, this is 9 weeks from the time I send the first letter.  Sometimes I can persuade people to give up a part, or the whole of their plot without waiting for the full 9 weeks.  But most of the time I never see the people on site to speak to.

While all this is going on the plots are becoming more overgrown and the neighbouring plotholders either complain to me or complain to each other about how useless I am.

Today, I told some people who were complaining about another plot holder moving the boundary of his plot that I would tell the council's Allotments Officer and let him deal with it.  He gets paid for doing his job.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: I'm feeling a bit fed up today
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 15:49:56 »
Ah..I know how you feel..sadly that is 'normal' ::) stuff in every allotment. You are doing your best and if that's not enough..say ''tough'' and pass the book. Some people always stretch limits, no matter what they are and time limits are no exception...often they don't have slightest bit of intention of compliting their promises.
We have one particular plot that we've been 'battling' with for 2 years now..finally we got the chap to give up and give the keys back... ::)...and the plot is sooooooo over grown now...god knows when we get some brave soul to take over and tackle the mess. Even with offer of 'free first year' I doubt there will be many in our waiting list that are willing for it.

Give as a good rant and make yourself feel better.. ;) ;D

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 15:55:45 »
Aw Betty I think like goodlife says it's the same everywhere  :(
Our site is self managed but a few plots are not really worked and it's seems to take forever to shift people.
I think you've done your bit,time for the council guy to do his.
sanity is overated

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 15:58:37 »
I do sympathise.    The plot next to mine has had the same tenant for 4 years.   He has been down twice this year.   He rotavated a 10'x10' area the first visit and planted broad beans the second with help from friend.  He has also deposited bags of leaves and bits of wood which are now covered by grass and weeds.  The thistles are a terrible problem seeding down onto one end of my plot.  They are growing among my peas and spinach.  Of course when removed they pull up seedlings.
When I complain to the allotments office they say we must give him a chance as he has been unwell.
The plotholder on the other side and myself are struggling to keep the paths strimmed.
When there is supposed to be a waiting list why can't they take action?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 16:39:37 »
I know just how you feel Betty - been there, done that! But 9 weeks is the legal requirement, so we're all in the same boat there.

But don't you think the weather this year has made everything worse? We've got far more neglected or semi-neglected plots this year than we would normally have by mid-June. (Mine's not looking brilliant!) And I think the weather is making us all fed up.

OH and I have got involved in judging plots in the Borough, for the Best Allotment Competition and we had a get-together training session the other evening. It was held at a site that had previously won Best Site several years running. The other judges - who knew it - looked and were amazed that it was nowhere near as well-kept and tidy as last year. Not a sign that the site was going downhill, but simply the weather - people hadn't been able to put in the hours.

I'm not excusing lazy plot-holders - we've all got our share of those - just saying that if this wretched weather ever gets it's act together, we'll all feel a lot better and we'll be able to put in a bit more time. Then you can really sort out the idlers!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 17:24:42 »
I am so sorry to read your post and I have no magic words to make it all go away but the fact that you care about your job and are obviosly doing it well makes me feel sure you are very much appreciatedby those folks. Sorta like a Mum and everyone rants at Mum when they are upset.

I wonder if it could be popped in a newsletter or brought up at a meeting that this part of yor job is not the easiest bit , I would guess that most folks really don't understand it and may be a bit gentler on you if they were told.

Just a though. We have neighbourhood reps here, 1 volunteer to a block of plots, they have a quiet word with some one who is misbehaving and are there to fend off the moans and generally aswer questions etc etc .As there are 6 of them each with their own areas here it kinda shares the load a bit. They do a very good job.

Hang in there, as someone who has done volunteer work for many years I know it can be frustrating.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 18:03:03 »
I'm in the process of writing letters at the moment. Wigan/North West/Britain in bloom is fast approaching and we have one plot with a wall around a square, the floor of the square has been covered with weed control for , this will be the third year. All the weeds and stuff are dumped in the middle of the square, nothing has been done about the weeds and the plot holders don't grow much veg there. I'm sick of making excuses to the judges so am asking if they want to give that part of their plot up.
I have to modify my language as I feel like ranting at them  :-\

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 18:16:20 »
It might be just the weather that is putting some of them off. Have Could you write a letter along the lines of:

"Your plot is neglected, we appreciate the weather has been bad, so we have arranged a professional gardener to rotavate/strim/nuke, you will be billed £xxx on xxx date.  Should you wish to do this work yourself it must be completed by xxx date. Non-payment of the bill by xxx date will result in forfeiture of the plot"

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 19:21:48 »
Thanks for your replies, you've cheered me up - and I love Lewic's idea!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 19:43:17 »
You just have to follow through with the procedures. We have found since introducing a 3 month trial procedure it has become alot easier. Over the last year we have managed to ask the long term non-cultivators to leave and now the majority of plots are in very good order. As the general standard increases it becomes less acceptable generally and everyones expectations go up. Saying this, we do have alot of support for new, and existing tenants, and since we have started the scheme only 1/16 tenants had troubles and were not successful. It isn't easy being Secretary.  You don't want to end up shooting everyone for their first weed as it won't help in the long term. Building relationships is key and try not to show your frustrations too much. I have offered to help strim/weedkiller/cover etc (or find someone else to volunteer) and that approach can help. It is difficult if you don't see the people to talk to them. After sending our first letter the tenant is always encouraged to contact me and discuss any difficulties. I generally find that, if they don't do something quickly, they generally ignore all the letters and we have to wait for the procedures to complete.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 20:59:19 »
Unfortunately headsheds jobs are one of those that hear more complaints than compliments.
What i do is walk arround the site take photo,s and put them before the committee as its there decission not mine to evict anyone. I then send them a letter with either 6 month or one years notice to quit

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 22:29:15 »
Got the swede in yesterday Davy, and spent all day today digging a new patch in my jungle for the cabbages.  Need to get the turnips in soon-they've grown like mad since Friday!  Someone has lent me some huge sheets of black plastic so I'll be able to cover ground awaiting the fork.  It's all good fun!  Thank you for your help and advice-am sure you're  a real asset on your site. :)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 08:01:10 »
I asked our previous allotments officer about having a 3 month trial period but he said it would not be allowed by the council.  I wish it was.

Another thing I don't understand is why they give the second month for people to start working.  It just draws the whole process out and in the meantime, the weeds keep growing.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 08:19:46 »
Do it anyway (the probation ) I would
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 08:30:01 »

I'm very tempted.
Do you get them to sign a form or anything?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 08:35:36 »
nope,they get an unsigned copy of the tenancy agreement, to be signed after the three months if all is well...keep meaning to do an 'induction' form to be signed but have enough to do etc etc

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 14:41:38 »

I'm very tempted.

Are you a self governed site with your own committee ETC
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 15:13:25 »

I'm very tempted.

We are self-managed Davy, with a committee. (still have to stick to council rules)

Don't know about Elvis though.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 15:18:06 »
Sorry to hear about your frustration, Squash.  I am not on an allotment committee, but have been on other committees.  And in principle the role of the secretary is to write the letters (as you did) - but the whole committee decided that these letters must be written.

If an allotment holder gives you grief, tell them to take it to the committee.  If the other members of the committee try to hide behind you, don't let them.  It is a communal decision.  Other committee members need to step up to the plate and not let you carry the whole responsibility for this thankless task.  If they do, ask them for much better support for this difficult and unpleasant task.

Good luck and chin up! :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 21:11:17 »

I'm very tempted.

we are council owned but self managed

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal