Author Topic: didn't dig this weekend because...  (Read 3459 times)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
didn't dig this weekend because...
« on: February 20, 2005, 17:59:12 »
Refilled the bird feeders yesterday - peanuts, suet cakes, fat balls, seeds, and stale custard creams. Within a few minutes, the birds started to feast and I didn't want to disturb them, so I just watched and tried to take pictures. Lost count of the blue tits but there were over half a dozen on the bird feeders at one time. Also visiting was a finch - I think it was a chaffinch, as well as a hedge accentor (aka dunnock). Starlings had a mini feast, and beneath were blackbirds and the odd pigeon. There were a couple of robins on the site, but they didn't visit the feeders. Ooh, nearly forgot the sparrows as well!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: didn't dig this weekend because...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 12:38:27 »
Was at my parent's yesterday. THey have loads of birds in their garden too. Lovely eating dinner while watching the birds eat theirs! The pigeons sit under the bird feeders for ages waiting for the smaller birds to drop seeds for them to clean up. Blue tits are the only ones who have worked out how to land on the fat balls - the sparrows hover near them, but don't seem to be able to make the leap! Dunnocks sometimes appear from the bushes when the pigeons aren't around. Robins and sparrows make thorough use of the bird table. And some long tailed or coal tits (not sure which) made fleeting appearances along with some sort of finch. And a blackbird popped out for a minute.

Most jealous. I only ever see pigeons in my garden on a regular basis. Although I've briefly seen robins, blue tits, starlings and blackbirds on occasion. Despite the new bird table.
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 17:33:38 »
Is it just me, or are there loads of birdies around at the moment?!?  The garden is full of activity and life.  I have a pair of blackbirds and robins making their presence felt, starlings nesting in the roof and fighting over the scraps on the lawn, t1ts of all shapes and sizes in the shrubs and wrens galore!  Pigeons roost every night in our willow tree and if the scraps on the lawn are still there come tea time, or fresh ones have been chucked out, then the rooks come down on their way back to their roosts.  On the allotment there are morehens, pheasants, jays and magpies as well as the smaller birdies, and I stood and listened to the ratatat of a woodie at the weekend!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 21:42:30 »
I didn't do a lot this weekend either as I was watching the birdies  ;D
On the next allotment, there was a birdie that I managed to get a photo of (though not a very good picture) and I think it was a greenfinch of the female kind. The dunnock was back, so maybe I will get round to posting the piccies of that.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 13:37:48 »
My back went into spasm this weekend so I have been right poorly.  In agony most of day and night so seeing doc today and chiro on Thurs.  Thought I'd be on the mend by now so this has set me right back :'( :'(
I came, I saw, I composted

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 10:46:42 »
wish i was digging the weekend but sadly i have no plot to dig  cant wait to hear from the council to say they have a plot for me , never know wardy perhaps i could dig your plot for u

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 11:18:13 »
Didn't dig this weekend (apart from 2 sq. ft.) because... I was clearing weeds instead! And rubbish! Big bonfire, nearly set light to self, nearly poked eye out on large weeds (now grazed face). Apart from that, went swimmingly (almost lterally - v wet!!)

Hope the backs a bit better wardy
Dawn

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 16:54:57 »
Sorry Wardy to hear about your back going into spams. :'(  My hip went into a spasm a few months ago, I had been turning over the compost, like you do and did too much.  I went home to rest and couldn't get up off the bed, I thought I had done some real damage, I was in agony for days, but in time it cleared up.  Morale of story, 'When compost needs turning, get someone else to do it'   ;)

Hope you get better soon.
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 17:21:50 »
Thank you for your encouraging words.  My lotty is calling me as there's a great pile of doo doo to do something useful with  ;D   Thank you for your kind offer to dig my plot for me digger  ;D   You should see the ruddy size of it  ;D ;D

I wanted the allotment to cure stress and to get thin.  All I've got is a duff back and I'm still fat and stressed cos I can't get back on it   ;D ;D   

I'm worrying about not getting my spuds in, that my onions will be being eaten, that my poo will get nicked, that my she'd still not up.  Dear, dear, dear, worry, worry, worry.   ;D

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 19:18:52 »
wardy you sound in a real sorry state :( i am sure as u feel better u will soon get your shed up and dig in all your doo doo cant really seeing anyone nicking it :D still plenty off time for your spuds and i bet u have the best onions on your lottie look on the bright side your back will soon be better and u will be back on your lottie losing all those pounds even stones         hope u feel better soon

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 09:13:08 »
I feel a bit better this morning and have been out trying to take photos of the
b l u e t i t s checking out my nesting box.  Didn't manage to get any decent photos but did get a frozen arse  ;D         I have taken some pics of my resident couple of collared doves (Darby and Joan).  I'll see if they are any good and post them if so

Ta for the encouraging words - they are better than medicine  :)

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 10:54:58 »
Hi all, just thought I'd add my sightings  :)

long tailed tits making their way through the trees, picking off insects (I assume) as they go. A pair of Magpies (noisy bu**ers!) couple of blackbirds, and a half a dozen redwing - I'd never seen these before in my life until this winter, now there are six living in the trees outside my window, eating ivy berries (I think). Lovely birdies  ;D    Oh, and the pair of fat wood pigeon that I want for the pan (but missus Jammy wont let me  ::) )

james

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 14:20:41 »
Sat sipping coffee on the plot this morn listening to the woodies....taptaptap........taptaptap.  Then the swans from the pond over the way flew over and their wings make the most amazing 'whoop whoop wheesh' kinda noise.  So graceful in flight!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 14:34:17 »
EJ   hope you remembered to chuck some coffee on the plot to deter the sluggies.   ;D

Glad you had a swan flypast and you can hear the woodpecker.  Lucky thing  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal