Author Topic: Coldframe building  (Read 4878 times)

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
Coldframe building
« on: February 25, 2005, 09:04:18 »
Morning all!

I have aquired some old windows from a house accross the road that had double glazing fitted with the idea of making some coldframes.  I have four singlepanel windows.

Two for home and two for lottie I hope.  I have some old flatpack wardrobes in the loft that I'm going to cut into the sides.  My main problem is that we have a north facing garden so direct sunlight is limited.  Any tips on where to stand it?  It will also have to go on concrete since so much of the garden is concrete - would it be a good idea to carpet the bottom, will it help retain the heat?

My parents are staying for the weekend, so I'm taking full advantage of my very handy dad!

All tips gratefully received!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Coldframe building
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 09:21:11 »
I would check to see what the flat pack wood is made of, as most these days are chipboard, wayroc, or compressed sawdust, none of these will stand the test of time in the outdoors, :o  as soon as they get wet or damp they will swell up and crumble. :-\
Good old fashioned wood is the way to go preferably pressure treated. 8)

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 09:25:14 »
Yup I know it won't last, I'm pretty sure its chipboard, but since I'm skint it can last this year even if it needs replacing next!  :-\

Painter

• Not So New ...
    • swillingtonallotments.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 09:30:21 »
I also had a north facing cold frame but found it ideal for hardening off summer bedding etc. if the sides are made of chipboard  I would go for grow bags inside to try and extend the life of the coldframe, as Roy points out chipboard once it gets wet swells and breaks up very quickly.
A little better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 09:52:34 »
See if you can pick up a couple of pallets and reclaim the timber.

I have done this for a bit of fencing on the lottie... a lick of coloured preservative and a coat of varnish its lasting well.

Pallets can be picked up for nothing.

When splitting the timber up I have found that sawing through the thick joining sections first to then using a hammer and chisel to split the supporting sections around the nails will release the planks in tact.
The nails used have a thread which makes levering the planks off the frame a dicey business...you can end up splitting the planks

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 19:11:54 »
Follow the idea from Roy... ;)

Preservation instructions from Derek.... ;)

Try Insulating the Sides with Polystyrene
Back and Sides to retain Warmth ???

Hope thats a Help ???
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 10:03:58 »
ahh well what actually happened was they arrived with a plastic mini greenhouse!  So now I'm saving the windows until I have better wood and will take them up to the lottie for proping over seedlings until then :)

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 11:08:29 »
Nattyem  :)

Good Idea...work at your own pace 8)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal