Author Topic: how to use shallow plastic containers?  (Read 1325 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
how to use shallow plastic containers?
« on: June 15, 2012, 14:32:22 »
At my work, we had a big clearout of teh kitchen, there are about 20 unclaimed plastic boxes of various sizes, I mean lunchbox sized ones. Many have no lids etc. I was wondering if I could put these to any use in the allotment? I was wondering if I could use them for some sowings, like lettuce, or flowers? Or as cloches (a bit small?)
I don't have a greenhouse and OH will go mad if more "junk" comes in the flat  ;D
Any ideas?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: how to use shallow plastic containers?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 16:54:05 »
If they are clear, those you could use and covers over seedlings and cuttings..otherwise you could make holes into bottom (heated nail or something) and use them as seed/plant trays..perharps making cardboad divided as you would have yourself nice and deep 'modules'.. ;) You could grow some cut and come again salad leaves or herbs..coriander? But not being that big..you might want to keep them closer to home for watering for 'cut and come again' crops as they would need daily attention.
Or perhaps keeping them as 'picking berries' containers? Or deep 'saucers' under plant pots?

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 20:22:31 »
Could cut up for plant labels too.

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 21:05:09 »
Stick some wet kitchen roll in a few and pre-germinate peas and beans in them. It's worked a treat for me this year!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:55:04 »
Yes you are right, I might just keep them for transporting things! It's amazing what people throw away! I thiink they are too shallow for cloches and too hard to cut up  ;D
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal