Author Topic: Successful Parsnip Sowing.  (Read 10919 times)

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Successful Parsnip Sowing.
« on: June 14, 2012, 18:36:59 »
Many of you have had trouble getting parsnips to germinate this year. Some have trouble most years so here is a foolproof way to guarantee success.

1. Sow your parsnips sometime in March/April when the soil is workable.

2 Sow them in the usual way either sowing along the row as I do or station sowing, what ever is your procedure.

3 Cover the sown row with a plank of wood or similar long piece of wood. This prevents the seeds drying out in warm weather or the soil caking hard in wet weather.

4 After two weeks check under plank for signs of germination, removing said plank once you can see the first seedlings appear.

This method has worked very well for me the last few years. :)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Successful Parsnip Sowing.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 19:37:26 »
Another way of being certain of germination is use an icecream tub with a sheet of wet kitchen roll in the bottom sprinkle the seed on the wet paper and leave in a warm place until you see the roots starting, (don't let them dry out)  cut the individual seeds out and plant with the paper they are stuck to in your lottie. You can space them and it saves thinning later. Fiddly but sure.

I like the plank idea though and will give it a try, not that I like them, but everybody else does.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 18:54:24 »

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 19:24:11 »
I used the plank method. Some of the ones under the plank germinated, but they died when I lifted it. The few that weren't under it are OK.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 19:48:16 »
Agreed it is a fine judgement when to remove the wood. It better when the very first signs of germination are showing. In other words when you see the first one or two, before most of them have broke the surface, but they have begun growing underground.

The plank does protect their papery seeds from drying out or too much wet though.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 22:07:56 »
I works just as well with black plastic  which doesn't put weight on the soil. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 05:46:10 »
I cover mine with recycled compost. 

I have also tried surface sowing, that works well especially in wet weather.  Self sown ones have a very high germination rate.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 14:15:50 »
The best Parsnip you grow is the one you dont plant
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 15:25:33 »
Set a line
Make a drill pressing a piece of wood onto the soil
Set seeds
Cover with soil
Water
A whole line came up
Bobs your Auntys live in lover.
 :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 16:06:38 »
Surface sow is the only method that will get decent germination from 2 yr old seed.

You have to be careful with the shape of the soil around them - a tiny 1cm bank around them can help to avoid washing away - especially if the ground isn't level.

This technique can even coax a usable row from 3 & 4yr old seed - if you have enough to sow at least 1 seed per sq cm!

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 12:10:31 »
The self sown ones do seem to do very well.  Also had success with a pheasant.  Sow the seeds and cover lightly with potting compost.  Hope a pheasant turns up and tosses it around a bit and I seem to get lots of parsnips.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal