Author Topic: WHAT ON EARTH AM I SUPPOSED TO BE DOING?  (Read 4259 times)

Deleted

• Half Acre
Re: WHAT ON EARTH AM I SUPPOSED TO BE DOING?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 10:06:40 »
Hi Hanraaa

how did you get on with your 10 tons of manure? Was it such a huge amount? I had visions of you disappearing behind it never to be seen again!

Dawn
Dawn

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2005, 11:52:25 »
I've never got Poached Egg plant to take very well from seed in our garden. Phacellia is really good at attracting bees and I'd guess it would be better as a green manure since it's taller and 'smothers' well.

Jeremy

frannie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2005, 15:56:19 »
hey gadfiium - what's the bad news about asparagus peas ??? i bought some seeds cos i thought they looked interesting... dont tell me - they attract all kinds of horrible things that then eat the rest of your veggies! :'(

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2005, 21:08:23 »
Nope... not quite that bad!

I posted a message asking if you could freeze the little blighters. Turns out that they can be pretty non-descript in the eatery stakes. Cardboard-like...

But... I liked the look and description of them too, so they are still going in. The secret, apparantly, is to nab them straight off the plant as soon as they are about an inch long - you let 'em grow, and they form an internal parchment thingy-majig which promptly makes them less-than-desirable as objects on the dinner plate.

:)

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2005, 19:22:17 »
Geoff Hamilton always said that the best green manure is broad beans.   They don't take over,   they add nitrogen to the soil,   you can dig them in whenever you want,   you can sow them anywhere,  anytime.

Oh, . . . and you can eat them.
Good gardening!

John

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2005, 20:47:49 »
i have the same problems but i was so pleased and proud off my self when i got my potatoes and garlic in i was well made up
Did not want to come home (the wife would have been happy with that)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2005, 21:06:59 »
I bet you're so proud that you just want to sit watching them grow.  Very relaxing, especially with a drink of something.  Tea that is  :)  Have you taken a photo yet?  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 09:29:55 »
As newcomers to this allotment business it's reassuring to find that lots of people are as confused as we are!!

We've been spending lots of time during this horrible cold spell reading and planning but I think we're just getting more confused so we're just going to go for it ( not sure what yet tho!). We're both working all weekend but next week will find us with our wellies on (weather permitting) doing  something constructive (or destructive), as people always say the best way to learn is thru experience.

Keep your fingers crossed for us and good luck to all the other beginners out there.
xx

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 09:48:37 »
Hi there,

It was my first year last year and I did not start until April... I still managed to get a load of stuff grown and was the healthiest summer I have had in years..  It is really confusing but you pick it up as you go along and coz I am a youngster compared to most of the ole boys at my allotment they seem to take me under their wings...   I felt really guilty when I went up on Tuesday as I have neglegted my plot for a couple of months and all their plots are perfect and ready to go... I have all that hard work ahead of me again>..  Noooooooooooo..

Ads

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 11:54:36 »
adam     sounds great and all that luvverly veg did you good  ;D  It's not just eating the veg that does you good though is it, it's being outdoors in fresh air (howling gale usually), clearing your mind, etc.  It's good for your whole wellbeing.  Mind your back though  ;D

Hello too to clarenpaul.  Hope you get your wellies on this weekend.  It doesn't matter if you don't get anything done but at least you'll be out there making plans and kicking clods of soil about.   ;)
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal