Author Topic: Wide bed cloches  (Read 1930 times)

andyh

• Not So New ...
Wide bed cloches
« on: March 08, 2005, 22:07:20 »
Hi,

A very kind elderly neighbour has recently been widowed and she has given me her husbands cloche hoops. These are made from blue water pipe and have hooks at soil level for the string to be attached. They are five foot wide and two  and a half foot high. I intend to use them to make tunnels of about fifteen foot in length. The only problem I have is that I have no idea what to plant under them at this time of year. Are carrots and potatoes a possibility?

Thanks

Andy

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Wide bed cloches
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 22:34:16 »
I think that it is still too cold to plant out just yet Andy.  best use them to warm the soil in readiness for planting out.  Im not an expert though, I am sure that someone more knowledgable will let you know.  ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 22:41:38 »
I use hoops and fleece to cover a brassica seed bed -  6-8 foot long, by 3 foot wide.  No flea beetle, no root fly and the seeds romp away to catch up on earlier sowings.

And carrots - yup, I'd go for that one too.

All best - Gavin

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 22:47:50 »
Going to do my carrots under fleece cloches over the next few days....weather permitting.  What about early salad?  or peas??

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 08:44:42 »
I have a cloche on the plot warming up the soil ready to plant my first early potatoes in! DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 14:08:58 »
cloches on my plot as of today!  Carrots, lettuce, rocket, beetroot and radish all snug as bugs in rugs!  ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 12:07:02 »
I use hoops and fleece to cover a brassica seed bed -  6-8 foot long, by 3 foot wide.  No flea beetle, no root fly and the seeds romp away to catch up on earlier sowings.

And carrots - yup, I'd go for that one too.

All best - Gavin

That's what I'm hoping to do this year, too. Last year the flea beetle really wrecked my summer cabbages and they didn't heart until late autumn instead of July! I also have a large roll of blue water pipe waiting...  But I did enviromesh my carrots and have had quite an amazing crop.

I'm hoping this season is as good.

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal