Author Topic: pssed off  (Read 10991 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: pssed off
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 11:54:24 »
Might downsize next year, granddaughter said I shouldn't give it up as when we walked into Enfield yesterday morning she had to drag me away from the road that leads to the allotment, and when she had gone home I rushed up there to see if anything had grown in the night.  The marestail is getting me down this year, and I thought I had learnt to live with it.  Will pull up my 100 a day but it makes no difference. Raining again today, but at least I didn't leave my 8 year old in the pub (not that I have an 8 year old).  :o :o :o

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 12:05:03 »
Hi everyone, when I went to my allotment at the weekend I got the awful news that we had been broken into yet again  :'(   tools stolen, sheds broken into, veg that is growing vandalised. So all in all I have decided to give my keys back after my fruit has been harvested. I'm not going to sow anything more this year at the plot & will concentrate my energies on building the raised beds in my back garden. Thank you all for your encouraging words. I hope those of you who are feeling fed up will be able to regain your enthusiasm soon & that the weather improves for us all very quickly. x Jane

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 13:25:59 »
Yep me too...not giving up though.

We've been having building work done, between the 3 of us we've just about had a hospital appointment every week since January, or I'm waiting in for a delivery or tradesman and they seem to take up the fine days when i get an opportunity to get to the allotment it doesn't just rain it pours (yes i know I wanted rain it just keeps choosing the wrong days!!!)
Plus i'm supposed to be going around local businesses raising sponsorship for our next Flower and Produce Show but I'm left with the ones who say....'come back on Xday when the boss will be in' they say choosing a day when I can't get back due to one of the above!

Oh and the remaining car needs servicing...that takes out a day I'm studying the weather forecast trying to work out a very wet day for that knowing I'll get it wrong. The other car has been in twice...two of the only fine days for weeks. >:( >:( >:( >:(

I have got stuff growing...couch grass, docks etc

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 15:38:59 »
  Really, really, pssed off today. 

It's too effing cold and dark,

Spent the morning weeding........frigging couch grass! >:(

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 15:44:27 »
 :) I didn't resort to saying I was so effing pssed at the frigging weather so I must be the above ;D

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 15:52:13 »
Oh! Jane (Crystalmoon = love the name btw :-*) this is a real kick while you're down, isn't it? :'(......there again p'raps it's the final push you need as your circs change and you face the current reality of a different way of living for possibly the rest of your life. Good Plan = harvest the fruits/whatever you have at the lottie whilst concentrating your energies on the Future - building those raised beds. (Link-a-bord?)

2 miles is a LONG way to walk with a bucket of urine  ::) - never thort of having a Lager-Party on-site???  but  the walk back from your lottie with soft fruits + a bucket of left-over horsemuck/enriched soil/whatever for your new home-based Little Eden? That's a Positive 8)

Turning Negatives into Positives is where I'm at, atm. but by God it's hard. Failing health forces a move, a downshift, AND I DO'T WANT TO DO IT! ( and no, I'm not shouting - I'm screaming ;D ;D ;D ) But reality won't go away. And so I must leave my brill garden, created by me (yes, ME folks 8) :D ) out of sterile barren ground where not even an 'umble garden worm chose to visit, into this productive patch I've had so much enjoyment - and sustenance - out of gardening.

X to all - Lish

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 15:57:11 »
I didn't either, so I'm prolly DED.......

hmm.......just checked my pulse.............

"does anyone there want to talk rood veggie talk with anyone here?"

Knock twice if you do.......

hours of the knocking shop - 24hrs availablity............"We Never Close"
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 16:01:02 by Lishka »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 16:01:50 »
I didn't either, so I'm prolly DED.......

hmm.......just checked my pulse.............

"does anyone there want to talk rood veggie talk with anyone here?"

Knock twice if you do.......

hours of the knocking shop - 24hrs availablity............"We Never Close"
 ;D ;D ;D

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 16:15:34 »
Hiya Manics, me ole mate! Tried to link my last post to the fabbo ones above by HelenK Louise, Borlotti etc. 8) posted while I was writin' a Serious one. Modern technology dunt marry with old-fashioned Heritage Veggies like me, obv......... :D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 17:17:00 »
One of the great things about this disgusting weather....... (flooding here right now) and all the dry early warmth followed by wet, dull cold and now...Noah selling tickets in the High Street...

the great thing about this growing season is next year, by the law of averages, just has to be better!!  ;D

Yours, truly and soggily, dampened at the moment!!  :(
But it could be worse.  ;)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 12:44:20 »
The sun is out, the sky is blue, and my lovely strawberries will get ripe, and tomorrow is going to be sunny too, so not too pssed off today.  What a difference the weather makes, after the rain and if we get some sun everything will grow well, I hope.  ;D ;D ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 16:01:53 »
No rain here today... lawns dry enough to walk over and a very slight sight of the sun - getting ready for tomorrow's downpours.

The fox has dug up one bean plant and trampled everywhere.... I'm now not so sorry the flipping thing got washed out the other day!

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 20:29:03 »
Phew, this whole thread has made me feel better! (strange but true!).

It's my first growing season with a plot and I was thinking I was just being a total failure as an allotmenteer! My squash, butternut and courgettes are planted out (they couldn't stay in pots any longer) but they have got wind-damaged, slug-eaten and are looking VERY sad. The sweetcorn I resowed (sowed the first lot too early) are out too but some have snapped/uprooted in the winds. I've rebuilt my cane brassica cage twice (and wholly expect to do it all again tomorrow!).

Spuds, shallots and onions are looking fine and dandy and lettuce is loving the conditions. Have munched on half-strawberries (the other half having been eaten/rotting in the wet).

At least I know I'm not alone. It's not me being useless. PHEW!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 12:15:29 »
Phew, this whole thread has made me feel better! (strange but true!).

It's my first growing season with a plot and I was thinking I was just being a total failure as an allotmenteer! My squash, butternut and courgettes are planted out (they couldn't stay in pots any longer) but they have got wind-damaged, slug-eaten and are looking VERY sad. The sweetcorn I resowed (sowed the first lot too early) are out too but some have snapped/uprooted in the winds. I've rebuilt my cane brassica cage twice (and wholly expect to do it all again tomorrow!).

Spuds, shallots and onions are looking fine and dandy and lettuce is loving the conditions. Have munched on half-strawberries (the other half having been eaten/rotting in the wet).

At least I know I'm not alone. It's not me being useless. PHEW!

You certainly are not alone!! This season (so far) has been a damp, cold disappointment all round it seems. We are several weeks behind here but, as you say, the strawberries appear to be loving it on the whole.

Here's wishing you some good growing weather to come in your first growing season.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 13:15:49 »
I am feeling rather guilty as I am obviously not having the same problems as you guys! Yes here it has been rainy and pretty cool and miserable but not so much as to completely destroy the plot. I am lifting the early spuds and they are the best I have ever had. I have just harvested my garlic as I wanted the space, maybe still a bit too green on the stems but it's now drying in my laundry.
Ok teh squash, aubergines and peppers are very displeased but the tomatoes are tall and very lush. Usually it gets too dry here but this year I have had wonderful lettuce, peas and rhubarb.

There are always some things that don't work, and in any case we can't help the weather. Maybe cloches or some plastic shelter might help for some plants? Stay optimistic, I have had times when I thought I should give up but after a while, it gets better  ;)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 13:29:03 »
Antipodes:
Reading of people who are having a successful growing season keeps the rest of us living in hope!! SO... keep telling us when things go well for you.  ;)

As you say it's a bit swings and roundabouts....some things working better and others not so.

Unfortunately for many people here it's mostly "not so" good this year....so far. A very slow start with some plants going backwards but we'll keep trying. I think.  ???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal