Author Topic: Délice de Marciac or Treacle Bites!  (Read 4221 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
Délice de Marciac or Treacle Bites!
« on: May 10, 2012, 19:33:34 »
Another delicious recipe that I want to share.  A friend gave it to me years and years ago, but I've only recently tried it.  Then it was called Treacle Bites.  I made some to take with French friends, to a concert at the world-famous Marciac Jazz Festival (about 80 miles away).  They were much appreciated and promptly re-named Délice de Marciac!

Ingredients: (sorry they are in imperial ounces!)
4oz self-raising flour
3oz rolled oats
1oz desiccated coconut
4oz butter
5oz sugar (brown if you like)
2 tablesp black treacle
4os raisins
1 tsp mixed spice
I teasp bi-carb, dissolved in 1 tblesp milk
Method:
Combine flour with oats, coconut, raisins and mixed spice. Heat butter, sugar and treacle gently in saucepan, bringing to boil, stirring all the time.  Remove from heat.  Add bicarb and milk.  Pour hot mixture  on to the other ingredients.  Mix well. 
Original recipe says to now leave on one side 30 mins to firm up, and then to shape into 24 balls, place on tray, and make individual biscuits.  They do spread!.
However, it is quicker and easier to put the lot straightaway into a  roasting tin, which I line with baking paper. Pat it down patiently until it is evenly spread.
Bake 180şC for about 20 mins.  Mark into squares, and leave to cool in tin, or remove from baking sheet if you are making individual biscuits to cool on a rack

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Délice de Marciac or Treacle Bites!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:24:33 »
God that looks delicious Peanuts!!! How lucky you are to live near Marciac, it's a beautiful area.
Bon appétit!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 14:09:02 »
OOh I shall try this later!
Grow yer bugger grow!

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 17:54:38 »
Sounds fab. Gonna try this.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 19:53:09 »
It's from the Dairy Book of Home Cooking. I asked if anyone on here had the recipe a while ago. My daughter & her friend had been reminiscing about their childhood memories. They were called syrup bites in the book. I don't think the original had raisins in. I do like the idea of them as a tray bake though. Great dunking biscuits ;D.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 05:05:24 »
That's interestng!  I have the Dairy Book of Home Cooking in our flat in UK, but haven't noticed  it there.  I must look next time we're back.  I was given the handwritten version over 25 years ago!  I added the raisins, and mixed spice.  I've also tried it with choc drops, but decided they were a bit of a waste.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 20:18:15 »
I don't know which year it was in the book. I have one & it's not in there. I used to follow the recipe but was out of syrup so added the treacle & they were a great hit.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:02:28 »
Look well scrummy  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 13:42:30 »
I've just looked in my Dairy Book of Home Cookery, it's in there as Syrup Bites. Describes the  book as a new edition for the 90's! Reprinted 1995.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 13:47:28 »
That's the one Yorkshire Lass ;D.

Richardton

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 10:12:53 »
That looks delicious, I have some friends coming over on the weekend, I think i'll make a batch

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 17:07:55 »
Tried.

All gone.

Shame.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal