Author Topic: How do you tell when gooseberries are ready  (Read 2947 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
How do you tell when gooseberries are ready
« on: June 10, 2012, 09:25:48 »
It is many years since I have had gooseberries.  I cannot remember how to tell if they are ready.

I did so love them pureed with strawberries.

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: How do you tell when gooseberries are ready
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:04:58 »
Going by my dads advice, a few days after the birds have scoffed the lot.

I would like to know, the twig that I was given when I stated allotmenting is now a bush full of fruit
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:21:52 »
I start cooking my fruit as soon as they are 'big enough'..not the so much 'deep' green fruit but as soon as they start getting bit of 'see throughness' and still quite green. But at that stage they are just for 'stewing'. Once they get hint of yellow in their colouring they are sweetening up and getting ready for using fresh purees (no cooking).
Mine are now big enough in size but they are still touch too green so another week of so and they should be ready for pot..YUM..I love cooked 'raw' gooseberries.. ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:34:01 »
Going by my dads advice, a few days after the birds have scoffed the lot.

;D ;D

I wonder how the birds know.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 11:08:48 »
The fruit softens... a gentle squeeze does it.... or peck if you are a bird...  :-X

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:53 »
Yep, I just give them a squeeze before the taste test (usually performed by one of my unsuspecting kids)  ;D
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 13:48:44 »
I've got so many bushes (from cuttings taken a few years ago) that I have to start picking as soon as they are any size at all, or I would never get them all picked. Haven't quite started yet, but am trying to get last year's all finished up before I start again - "allotment cake" is a good recipe for rendering gooseberries edible and popular at almost any stage.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 15:54:34 »
I picked my 20 today, before the birds. A few are big enough and anyway I want a tart sauce for mackerel

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 16:26:52 »

If you eat one, and your cheeks touch on the inside.  .  :-X .  .I'd give them a few more days.      Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 12:53:12 »
I like to eat them raw and sour, so I keep trying the larger ones each time time I'm there, tried 2 this morning guess they are a week away.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 12:55:47 »
Just about all the leaves on mine have been eaten by caterpillars  :'(  But will the fruit be OK? They are laden with berries... But as they are only just blushing red, I suspect another couple of weeks before I can use them.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal