Author Topic: making progress  (Read 1609 times)

summergirl

• Not So New ...
making progress
« on: March 11, 2005, 17:26:08 »
Hi all
Well, we've dug about 1/3rd of lottie - tempted to stop there for now, but am being encouraged by seasoned gardener to keep going.
Greenhouse structure is up - no base or glass yet, that's the next stage.
Keys located for sheds, and sheds cleared.  Found the old lady who was the previous owner (50 yrs!) and took the useful looking contents of the sheds.  She didn't want it but was touched by the thought.  I'm hoping to have enough success that I can pass some offerings her way.  She was so sad to have to give it up.
Everyone I talk to has different ideas about the best time to do things.  Some are getting onion sets in this w/e - others are not worrying for a bit.  What to do, what to do?  This is rhetorical - I'll do another couple of weeks of digging - should gain a 6' row then.  Can't wait to start planting though!

I'm thinking of covering the area that we haven't yet dug.  Is underlay ok to use, or will grass grow through?  (we have a load found in loft). 

Good weekend wishes to you all.  SG

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
Re: making progress
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 18:52:40 »
Hi summergirl, sounds like your having fun, could do with some pics on this site,  take note of the oldies as they know the site and know's what grows well and when,
enjoy
later
windy ;)
my allotment
heaven

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 19:00:04 »
If the underlay is that rubbery one, I wouldn't use it as it will break up and you will be lumbered with loads of plastic through the plot, also, the couch will probably grow through and then you will have even more trouble shifting it!  If you must, the carpet, but not foam back, or black polythene might be the way to go.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 22:08:49 »
Summergirl, you wrote that everyone seems to have different ideas on the best time to do things. That should tell you something. There is no set time to do things, just a general time frame. So, don't worry too much about it.

It sounds like you made a good start, try not to over do things or the fun will go out of it. Clear a bit, sow a bit, clear some more, plant a bit, etc. Not long periods of doing the same thing is what works for me.
Good luck.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal