Author Topic: Marestail - anybody used KURTAIL treatment  (Read 47020 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Marestail - anybody used KURTAIL treatment
« on: June 04, 2012, 00:16:01 »
Has anybody used Kurtail to treat marestail, if so how would you rate the product?Does it do what it says on the tin - kill marestale?

http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-Killers/Total-Weed-Killers/Kibosh-0-5LTS/prod_2.html
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

claybasket

• Hectare
Re: Marestail - anybody used KURTAIL treatment
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 13:51:35 »
Round up mixed with white spirit or paraffin is supposed it kill marestail ,don't suffer from it myself but for them that do !would love to know if it worked ;D

Esplanade

• Not So New ...
    • Roy - English, Tanya - Russian, dacha in Russia and now - an allotment in England
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 16:46:02 »
if its for allotment use, then you need to consider that it's a professional product.

the company claim that you can use it under 'grandfather rights'. It doesnt belong on an allotment.

It's not selective and will kill all green material that it comes into contact with. The company also state that it will need re-application, possibly several times. It seems to be too good to be true and it probably is (long term)

There are lots of ways to remove HT. The secret is to not let the shoot get above 5cms, this will put such a strain on the Rhizome. If longer than 5cms, photosynthesis begins and this feeds the rhizome. It uses a very sensitive rooting network which will be weakened by constant removal of shoots, this will 'tempt' the root network to look elsewhere.

Boiling water will kill it to a few cms depth and is more effective than vinegar and wont tip the pH balance.

Soil improvement is the long term answer and worm introduction after that. The HT is there, because the soil is under-nourished. Feed paths and awkward places with lawnfeed.
read about our exploits (and other allotment-related stuff) on our blog at http://pushingupdandelions.co.uk

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:05:40 »
The way to kill horsetail is to fertilise it? :o

I have horsetail on the allotment I took over in April. Halfway down the plot there is a thick stand of raspberries that I can't yet tackle but everywhere else I have not tolerated a spear to survive. Whether on path or bed a spade goes down vertically, the soil is lifted and loosened and a long bootlace lifted.
It is still coming up but early on I was lifting 100 stems at a visit. Now I am down to 20 or 30 and it has had no photosynthesis yet and it's almost July.
The plot next to me is one of the neatest on the site, far far neater than mine but he just hoes his and it's growing everywhere.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 12:05:20 »
I'm just off to the allotment to do my 100 a day.  Lady laughs at me as I quite enjoy digging them up, but nothing really seems to stop it coming back, but have learnt to live with it. Another weed has taken over, don't know what it is but it has shallow roots but spreads all over the ground.  My friend digs it out, rakes it out and buries it, or hangs it on his apple trees.  Happy days, the sun is out, so off I go.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 12:10:03 »
Think it may be chickweed.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:13:49 »
Although I am no expert, just old cynic, to me the product looks similar to glyphosate.  

There's no money in selling glyphosate any more so they need to find something they can make a better profit on.

But, if it were better, I'm absolutely positive that they would state that in the label as it would be great from a marketing point of view.

JMO mind you.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/

Tefleon

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 17:27:07 »
I use this at my allotment and I've seen a huge change in the volume of horsetail which returns.   It's horrible stuff to use and I would suggest always wearing a mask and proper rubber gloves, not the washing up type.

I've seen the best results when the weed is at least six inches tall and the spray can sit on it for at least four hours without the rain washing it off.  It get round this during the last couple of months I've been isolating the horsetail under an empty, 2 litre, empty milk bottle and spraying into this before putting the bottle lid on.  This keeps the spray from the other plants and lets the spray do it's job.

After about 12 hours I remove the bottle and just leave the horse tail alone to turn brown and die.  I don't pull them even when they've turned black as it's still working on the roots.  I've noticed the weed just fall apart over time using this method.

To put this in context, I double dug some of my beds last year with a spit and removed every trace of of the horse tail I could find before covering the beds with black plastic.  This was controlled weeding so each spade full was picked through and each root followed as for as I could follow it for.
 This spring I removed the covers and the horse tail was just as bad.    Three months on and targeted spraying has almost cleared all signs of repeat horse tail and my test bed which had nothing other that spray applied, no digging had only one new stalk last week.  Again this is targeted applications of the chemical and not wholesale spraying.

Hope it helps!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 17:44:49 »
Thankyou.  I will be getting a bottle of Kurtail.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 19:57:01 »
The active ingredient isn't glyphosphate but glufosinate ammonium, it has a different mode of action to glyphosphate.

Glufosinate was included in a biocide ban proposed approved by the European Parliament on January 13, 2009.

Plase read the link before buying

http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/reports/impacts_glufosinate_ammon.pdf

planetearth

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 09:52:20 »
I have used a similar product with great success.  Gallup 360 Biograde Glyphosate comes in 5L containers for about £30 and is to be used with great care.

My daughter discovered that her new garden/drive etc was infested with Marestail and no amount of pulling and digging woud remove it.

The answer was using neat Gallup (many times stronger than shop bought glyphosphate).  The method is simple - let the Marestail grow a bit - 3-6 inches, tread on it to bruise it then wearing strong rubber gloves and using a long handled paint brush, paint the bruised Marestail.  It dies quite quickly, but new shoots frequently appeared and got the same treatment.  It took 2 years to kill the lot and new appearances are now very rare.  By the end of this year we hope it has gone forever.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 16:23:53 »
Yes it does work. My neighbour has it in abundance and just pulls the odd bit up. It has gone under the footpath between the plots and I have the odd bit onto my plot at one end. I cut the bottom off a 2 litre squash bottle put the bottle over the Marestail and spray down the inside of the bottle. It is usually dead within the week but I still leave it to go into the roots. Inevitably odd bits need another dose. It also works very well on Ivy but please note that it is expensive and is non selective on what it kills. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal