Author Topic: Which compost to buy?  (Read 16042 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
Which compost to buy?
« on: June 01, 2012, 13:19:30 »
Hi everyone, I've been using B&Q multi purpose compost & Grow bags for years very happily...they even got a Which best buy award in the past but this year they have changed to Verve compost & it is awful, really truly a waste of money, dusty, old crisp packet in one bag & loads of weed seeds (my seedlings grown on windowsill indoors were swamped in weeds!!!!). So I need to find a new cheap but good compost as I want to fill 10 plastic raised beds that are one foot square in size. The will be leaving my allotment & moving to my flat miles away from my lotty & I don't drive so can't transport the soil that's in them at the allotment at the moment -mores the pity as it is lovely soil. Thanks xjane

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: Which compost to buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 13:49:24 »

I believe ALL composts have gone downhill fast.  So much woodchip I keep looking for assembly instructions ::)

It's a case of waiting to hear from those who have located a good one and going for that.

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 14:02:02 »
Thanks Tony, I'm finding that's the case with so many things lately...shops seem to want to keep the price the same each year so the quality deteriorates each year...sigh!
I have Wilkinson weed membrane from 4 years ago still going strong on one part of my allotment yet last years new roll didn't even last the Summer.
Jane

mentallot

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 14:05:01 »
I've used verve this year and haven't found it too bad ... but agree with the general sentiment, quality of everything seems to be dropping :(

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 14:09:50 »
Hi Menttalot, which bag/variety did you buy of the Verve stuff?
Maybe I just got very unlucky with the bags I got.
Jane 

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 14:27:10 »
This year I've used Erin and Clover and have found both of them to be very good.  I do sieve them for seed-sowing and there are not many hard bits at all.

We sell them at 3 for £11 in our allotment stores, they are 75 litre bags.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 14:29:01 »
Thanks Squash, I've not heard of these before so will see if anywhere nearby sells them. Jane

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 15:22:57 »
I used  3 75l bags of Westland at £12 for most of my pots this year, then got lucky with a special offer of a 70l bag of Erin Excel multi-purpose compost for £2 - actually got 2 as my friend didn't need her coupon. Both are really good - no debris or sticks at all.

Tricia

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 15:23:48 »
Since Wickes compost have been changed into horrid wood pulp, I've bough some Mother earth multipurpose instead..its made by Clover and quite good for the cheaper end product. I paid £3.65 for 75 litre bags in our lottie shop. We buy ours compost from Codnor.. http://www.gro-welldirect.co.uk/ ..their growell compost is really nice but bit more pricey too.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 15:27:22 »
New Horizon is still my top pick but I did pick up a 120 lt  bag of Homebase stuff which was OK as well - compressed but still good.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Eamon

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 15:57:01 »
I use compost from a garden material recycling facility here in Sligo. It's brilliant. The workers brought me on a tour around several massive mounds of pulped garden debris, with steam rising from each as they ferment. Each is turned by a digger every so often until they're ready to be sifted through a machine and bagged, with any solids going back into the recycling process. The compost is rich, and my veg and flowers have reacted as if pumped with the stuff (which I suppose they have). It's good value too, at €2.50 for a large sealed bag, the same size as a bag of coal. Anyway, just thought I'd share. :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 18:12:09 »
Wehave a 'little green truck man' who delivers bagged up topsoil (ex carrot soil) for 2.00 per 75ltr bag, it's brilliant as it keeps the moisture in , have you got someone near you like that. Ours advertises in the paper  :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 08:30:33 »
Westland seed and seedling compost, Westland John innes 1,2,3and Westland basket and container with added John innes......you'll notice I prefer Westland. That's because all the rest have let me down.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 12:12:32 »
Thanks everyone for your replies, given me lots of options to explore. I was in Asda yesterday & noticed a large bag of their own brand compost had a tear in it...have to admit to having a poke about & it seems to be quite good, not woody etc. I would never have considered using a supermarket compost but may try it out. Has anyone used Asda compost? Thanks Jane

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 12:50:24 »
I was given two bags of JABowers multipurpose........horrid stuff again this year. It smells of sewage, had all sorts of mould growing on lumps of barely composted material, and full of bits of plastic. I have used it as a mulch in the garden and would not consider using it on anything grown from seed or in pots.

I found the Verve stuff very good so far, a bit powdery, but I mix mine with JI No.3  3:1 to give it a bit more weight anyway. I have used 6 bags so far this year and have not found any woody bits of plastic in at all...perhaps you were unlucky? ???
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:58:24 by Deb P »
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 12:53:35 »
Ive been using Erin compost for the last 4 years,for seeds,potting on,and growing tomatoes,cucumbers in buckets,it is very good.Erin growbags are very good too,i grow my strawberries in them outside.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 12:57:38 »
Hi Deb P thanks so much for letting me know about the JA Bowers multipurpose as I had that on my list of possibiles to buy in bulk  :o
Good to hear you have found the Verve stuff ok, beginning to think I just got unlucky with the bags I got so may give it another try & mix it in the way you suggest.

Hi Daveylamp993 I'm trying to find a local supplier of Erin so I can try some out. Is it the multipurpose that you use?
Jane

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 13:08:08 »
Has anyone used Westland organic compost? Just been looking at customer reviews for this & all seems very positive. Its £6.99 for 60L so not the cheapest but if it's as good as the reviews suggest it may be worth it xjane

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 17:09:38 »
Hi there Crystalmoon,i get mine from a local shop,I'm not sure if you could get it in bulk,i get 3 x 60 litre bags for £10,i hope you can find some local to you as it is good stuff.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 09:30:07 »
I agree about the new mix for the band q growbags much worse than the old stuff.
I bought wickes aldi and band q peat free all were just municipal waste with wood chip in it and not much use becuase they get so sticky. So like you I am also looking to find a decent mix amidst the rubbish.

Might try the ASDA next.
x sunloving

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal