Author Topic: Sodding bikes!!  (Read 1839 times)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Sodding bikes!!
« on: June 10, 2012, 11:23:06 »
Me, the ball n chain and three friends did a walk round Carsington water yesterday followed by a couple(Doom Bar) a pints and a chip butty at the Miners Arms,apart from the odd spot a rain a jolly good time was had by all..............That is except for the sodding bike riders who all day would  came tear arsing up behind us yawping   at the last possible moment "coming through" before nearly  ploughing into us!!!
Is the Bicycle bell a thing of the past???.......and what ever happened to the good old  bicycle clips eh?...because contrary to popular belief one size does not fit all when purchasing Lycra shorts as clearly demonstrated by the medicine balls in  spandex pedaling past us like bats out of hell all bloody day. :o

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Sodding bikes!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:37:37 »
Code: [Select]
Lycra shorts as clearly demonstrated by the medicine balls in  spandex pedaling past us like bats out of hell all bloody day.   ;D ;D..that's one way of describing the scene.. ;D

Yes..cyclist can be a bit of menace in some areas..but it is down to 'general' lack of manners for not being considerate to other people. I'm sure those same people will push their way through in other situations too...perharps it it the squeezed 'medicine balls' that make them rush around.. ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:42:33 »
Earlier on the year I was walking along the promenade in Bournemouth and found the bikes came far too close for comfort.   When I saw them coming I put my arms out at shoulder height.  Since those from behind were not doing it I can only asssume they were doing it to annoy.

Runners have tight lyra as well.  :o :o

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 12:59:27 »
My mum used to describe male ballet dancers bits as '2 eggs in a handkerchief' :o ;D.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 13:50:10 »
To be fair Carsington water does advertise itself as a place to ride bikes and even rents them out.  Although I have never ridden there I have ridden around other similar places where there is no separation of bikes and walkers and there should be room for both as long as everyone is civil.  As a cyclist it is annoying when you come up on a line of walkers taking up the entire width of the path leaving no room for you to get through but there is no excuse for rudeness from either party. 

I haven't had a bell on my bike in years and I always felt that a firm polite "excuse me" sounds better than the incessant ringing of a bell anyway - in my experience (albeit a long time ago) pedestrians never reacted well to the sound of a bike bell..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 15:41:47 »
You should try Cambridge....you have to leap out of the way as they hurtle through.

Another place I've had to leap out of the way a few months ago is the Lake District, and i wasn't amused it happened over and over it's like people walking are invisible. Whinlater Forest used to be peaceful, now they have put mountain bike tracks in everywhere and crossing them is like having to cross the intercity rail track except without the barriers, lights or bells. Not that they stick to 'their' tracks all the time. And they arrive in big four wheel drives and try to avoid parking charges (higher now since they built all the mountain bike facilities) and park on the road verges everywhere churning up the verges forcing walkers to walk on the road.

I used to be a cyclist once...it is possible to be polite on a bike.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 16:19:58 »

I used to be a cyclist once...

I think I ran into you once ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 16:45:39 »
Like bikes and people - not all cyclists are the same.  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal