Author Topic: fruit trees  (Read 1364 times)

mutty042130

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
fruit trees
« on: May 24, 2012, 22:41:15 »
Hi can anyone tell me if its possible to train plum almond and cherry trees like a espalier not got much spare to let grow normally cheers

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 07:22:47 »
Yes..it is possible but unfortunately espalier  doesn't suit stone fruits. All the hard training forms involve lot of pruning which stone fruit trees doesn't like and as they don't grow fruiting spurs as apples and pears do, stone fruits are dependant of having plenty of growth to produce useable quantity of fruit. Hard pruning also makes them prone to many diseases.
So basicly if you would grow them in espalier of other such a trained form..you have lot of work ahead with need of skilled  pruning and not much rewards for the return.

You could grow fan shape against wall..but ideally you would not prune anything that has already matured into 'wood'...but keeping pruning just to early summer shoots that are still soft and tender and piching them the soft tops with fingers. Those tip 'wounds' will heal quickly and not being such a risk for 'troubles'. With fan you can also 'get away' with not so hard pruning..as you can bend some of the growth against the surface instead of cutting it off.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:34:44 by goodlife »

mutty042130

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: fruit trees
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 13:20:10 »
Thanks for the advice goodlife cheers keith

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal