Author Topic: Poor Charlie  (Read 12525 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Poor Charlie
« on: May 29, 2012, 15:10:06 »
Poor Charlie is not eating and drinking too much water.  He keeps trying to do a poo, and his tail is dirty with poo and flies.  He was asleep in the leanto and keeps trying to sleep in the garden behind wood etc.  OH is away working, otherwise it would be straight down to the vet.  He did wake up and allowed me to wash his tail in warm water.  OH is back tonight so may be straight to the vet, but I do love that cat.  I wish he would go to sleep and die (is that awful of me) but don't want to have to make the decision that it would be kinder to have him put to sleep. Dulce is upset as his friend doesn't want to see him, he just wants to sleep.  I can't even go to the allotment as don't want to leave him, just thinking about calling a cab to go to the vet, and then Charlie seemed to be OK, apart from the poo on his tail and running away from me to hide. Depressed from Enfield.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Poor Charlie
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 15:38:46 »
Poor Charlie and poor you.  Will the vet still be open when your OH gets back? It's an awful decision to have to make, one of the penalties of loving our pets.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 16:05:35 »
Charlie is still sleeping peacefully, so think I need to get out for a walk, to the lovely allotment.  He is not in any pain, and have the phone number of the emergency vet. so will leave him sleeping.  So lovely to have someone to talk too, next door still at work and she loves my cat.  Speak later.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 16:27:49 »
Poor wee cat, I hate anything suffering,do hope he pulls round or he passes in his sleep it would be a blessing may be.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 17:39:15 »
I am so sorry to hear that Charlie is so poorly. Of course it would be better for you if he died in his sleep Borlotti. Nowt wrong in wishing that but I am sure that you will do what will be best for Charlie if he is suffering. It will be difficult but at least we are able to let our little friends go when they are not enjoying life anymore.
He has been a very loved cat and is lucky that he had such a caring owner.A big hug for you Borlotti    (((()))))
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 23:08:11 »
It's a hard decision to make - but when the time is right its the kindest thing you'll ever do.

Thinking of you and Charlie

Alison xxx

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:18:58 »
I am thinking of you and Charlie this morning, I hope you manage to make the right decision for him and let him go if the time is right

(((hugs)))

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 07:58:48 »
Love & hugs to you both xx

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 08:33:24 »
Big hugs x

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 15:32:31 »
Well Charlie had a stressful day today, emergency appointment at the vets.  His bottom has been cleaned and shaved, and his lumps cut out.  He had blood tests, and the results were immediate (better than national health service), and his kidneys and liver function is not too good, but not terrible for an old cat.  Vet a bit worried about his back legs giving way (I know the feeling) as he can't poo and clean himself, so have to keep an eye on him.  He is having a lovely sleep on my new leather settee (on the throw).  Vet was very good, and said we had to keep a close eye on him, and if he gets worse will have to make the decision to have him put to sleep which she said would be kinder than to let him struggle on. But he lives to fight another day, apart from the fact I am £130 short of cash, but OH wouldn't hear of having him put to sleep, and it is my fault and I wasn't washing his bottom everyday.  The flies had given him maggots, which has put me off eating for days. Very impressed with this new vet, and the other one caused be a lot of guilt about not putting an old cat through very expensive treatment, but this one was great, and said go back if he gets worse and it would be kinder to have him put to sleep than let him suffer (which I agree with).

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 16:58:20 »
Oh Dear. Poor Charlie. I have to look at my rabbits bums everyday to make sure that the flies haven't been around. Its worse if they are too fat to clean themselves or have problems with not being able to reach to clean themsleves. It only takes one day for the flies to strike and the maggots are there
Hope that Charlie has a good night and that you have the strength to let him go when the time comes.
                             I want em saying

small

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 17:10:55 »
Poor Charlie, poor you, sounds like you've got a good vet there.  I'm as unsentimental as they come. but having my put down was a bummer. It was very easy and peaceful for them, though, do stay with him if it comes to the worst. I'm sure mine knew I was there.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 09:37:32 »
Borlotti, I am sending you a big hug. It's so hard having pets sometimes, as we love them so much. You never know he may just go off peacefully. He sounds like a hell of a fighter in any case!!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 12:52:09 »
How is Charlie today?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 18:03:38 »
Charlie is fine, I don't feel too good.  Have to watch him when he does a poo, and then put him in the basin for a wash.  Tried to shut him in the kitchen today (only place without carpet) as wanted to go out, but he wasn't having that, he loves the settee.  Oh well 'let sleeping cats lie'.  He is not stupid as knows he has to go to bed in the kitchen but not in the day.  Just rang the vet and made an appointment for next Wednesday for another check up as they will get busy after the holiday, and they were very nice, and said if he was better could cancel, also have the number for the emergency vet, as these things always happen at holiday time. He has always been such a clean cat, and feel so very sorry for him as his back legs have gone and when he tries to poo he falls over.  He is trying so hard to keep clean and wash himself. When I left school I did want to be a vet but didn't pass enough exams, but OH did say he would have me put to sleep before his beloved Charlie, but after seeing him struggling today, he has changed his mind.  He is not in any pain, and is purring and sleeping and eating, but this poo is a bit of a problem, nappies for cats maybe.  ;D ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 18:26:00 »
Does he poo just after he eats, that reflex often kicks in. If so maybe you could support him a little as he does it.We had an injured goat years ago which could barely stand, and as they poo while standing we had ti support him. It wasn't as bad as you may think.

Good luck..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 16:46:11 »
Good news, Charlie went to the vet today, and the vet was very pleased with him.  She said to buy him old cat's food (not out of date food, but food for cats over 7 years)  from Morrisons, so have got some today and he loved it, and may be he will put on some weight (he is so thin, even though he eats).   She said we had looked after him very well for an old cat, and they all loved him.  She also said anytime he was having problems with his poo, and back legs to bring him back, and the very best thing today was his check up was free.  She said just take the cat and go, you don't have to pay.  ;D ;D  She checked his heart beat, and we had the blood tests, but she thought he was doing well, he can have fish oil on his food to help his back legs, but apart from that just carry on, until we think he is in pain and has had  enough, but he fights on.  This vet is a lot better than another practice I went to, when they charged me an arm and a leg, and I felt so guilty that I hasn't spend hundreds of pounds on treatment for a very old cat. 

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 17:22:50 »
I am so pleased that Charlie is battling on. Sounds like you have a nice vet. Lets hope that the new diet makes him a little better. I bet you feel a lot better now love
                             I want em saying

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 19:18:11 »
That's good news, you must be really pleased.  And how nice that you didn't have to pay!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 19:43:33 »
Oh poor thing, this has made me so sad as my 17 year old cat isn't well. Thyroid problems, I'm told by the vet it happens in old cats. Some days we think that we are going to loose her then she rallies for a while then down again. The though of having her put to sleep fills me with dread but if she is suffering then I will have to bite the bullet and have it done. I to in a way hope that she just goes in her sleep. I'm thinking of you. Chin up. Alan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal