Author Topic: onions rotting  (Read 1210 times)

topman

• Not So New ...
onions rotting
« on: May 29, 2012, 13:58:12 »
tops of my summer onions are curling up & bulb is soft & rotting
You live and learn.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: onions rotting
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 14:57:53 »
It sounds as if you have white rot, there is almost no cure now for this. I have just found I have it on my allotment that I took over this year. We used to use Armillitox but that is no longer approved.

topman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 15:14:06 »
Hi laurieuk
this is also a new plot to me ,have had white rot before on another plot but this has no white fungus on the underside of the bulb its just going brown and rotting 6 so far but many more seem to be going the same way
You live and learn.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 15:43:56 »
The only thing i can come up with is Soft Rot.
This usualy starts at the neck of the onion wich is usualy the softest part and works its way down. Normaly the first sign small  yellow blotches which turn brown and the onion rots, this normaly happensduring storage.
An onion will normaly drink about an inch of water a week, thats why you dont water them to often so combined with all that rain we had and also the soil not being able to dain it away the onion  the onion has taken to much moisture.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

topman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 16:33:38 »
Thanks davyw1
that's sounds more like it, there still in the groud but we have alot of rain in london before the hot spell came
You live and learn.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 18:11:05 »
Curling tops is often an indicator of eelworm. One or two of my overwintering onions looked like they got it with the bulb (what there was left of it) turned to mush. :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal