Author Topic: Lazy lettuce  (Read 6840 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Lazy lettuce
« on: May 27, 2012, 23:11:13 »
Asda have been selling a lettuce called "Lazy Lettuce". It's loose leafed with a dense growth of thin leaves that snap easily from the base. Anyone know what variety this might be. I love it for it's ease of preparation.

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: Lazy lettuce
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 13:19:54 »
salad bowl perhaps? You can do that with any lettuce, I just snip the rib with scissors

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 14:16:11 »
There is a heritage variety called 'Fat Lazy Blonde', but I'm guessing this will be a bog standard fast growing cut and come again type with the title just referring to the ease of use.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 15:40:40 »
I love that name ;D, where do they get them from?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:10:09 »
I got a packet of fat lazy blonde in France (Grosse Blonde Paresseuse) and it was a wonderful lettuce, soft and blowsy and large and pale with a good heart. I would always buy it again if I could find it. It would not be easy to pick separate leaves because they are all overlapping.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:24:08 »
I got a packet of fat lazy blonde in France (Grosse Blonde Paresseuse) and it was a wonderful lettuce, soft and blowsy and large and pale with a good heart. I would always buy it again if I could find it. It would not be easy to pick separate leaves because they are all overlapping.

http://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/shop/Roundhead_Lettuce.html
Is it this one?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 10:10:13 »
Artichoke, I think I might have a few of those left, although I couldn't say for sure without looking in my seedbox. Would you like a few? French lettuce rocks!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 10:10:55 »
Oh and I think it's called a Paresseuse (lazy) because it's a slow bolter. It tends to be good in warmer weather.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 10:42:26 »
I do like knowing the possible explanation for the names. I wonder how Nuns belly button came about ;) ;D.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 10:49:21 »
Antipodes, that is an extremely kind offer, thank you, but I have now found that Etty's seeds have it, and I rather like ordering from them (quirky company).

I agree that they stand quietly for a long time before reaching for the sky, and even then the leaves stay soft and sweet and can be picked off the stem. I tried to save seed, but downpours at the time stopped them from maturing and drying out, I think.

Squash64 , thanks, yes, that's the one, highly recommended by me, anyway. But I am going for Etty's.....

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 22:45:46 »
Grannyjanny I have been trying to grow Drunken Woman for years without sucess :-)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 08:29:59 »
I love that name ;D, where do they get them from?

Yes, but it is most likely just a descriptive name?  Blonde as in light coloured.  Is this a lettuce that is light green and/or has white seeds?  Lazy - thanks for the explanation.  Fat refers to the shape.

Sounds a nice variety to grow.

On the other hand - it could be revenge from the males of the species - you make me eat this stuff as part of a 'healthy eating' drive, and I will give it a derogatory female name ;D  Drunken woman indeed!

Richardton

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 09:17:47 »
Goes well in a salad with bored tomato and sloth cucumber

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 09:20:44 »
Some plants seem to have pretty names! Squash and tomatoes in particular. goodlife sent me seeds of a tomato called "Nebraska Wedding" ! how on earth can that have a name like this? They are growing well so I am curious to put a fruit to the name!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal