Author Topic: Broad beans are yellow and not thriving. Rin and more rain  (Read 2588 times)

strawberry1

• Hectare
Spring sown beans, started in root trainers and were very healthy. Put on the allotment and it has been rain and more rain. They have grown taller and have lots of flowers. Soil is clay. They just look poorly and yellow rather than green, no manure in the soil. I am assuming that they are not getting enough nutrients and whatever was there has been washed away. What would you feed them with?

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: Broad beans are yellow and not thriving. Rin and more rain
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 20:56:42 »
Mine look a bit pale so I am feeding mine with chicken pellets.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 06:42:58 »
ahh, must be a pretty common problem then. I was thinking phostrogen for quick uptake but will decide later today. Comfrey liquid has a quick effect on most things but I have seen no effect on the broad beans. The sun today will help I should think

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 06:58:57 »
Chicken pellets not helping my yellowing strawberries, may be making it worse.  I am trying miracle grow.

Broad beans flowering but they are rather short.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 13:59:46 »
mine are full of flowers and are too short. I have put phostrogen on this morning and should see a difference but if no difference in 2 days then I will use epsom salts as it could be a magnesium deficiency. Never had this before but then it has been strange weather this year

Neighbours are very green (nitrogen) but she has far fewer flowers. They need some stress for flowers but enough is enough. I hope we get some still and sunny conditions so that the bumble bees come out, we have local hives but there isn`t a honey bee to be seen

elfdread

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 14:24:49 »
Watch All,
My name is Mick, just signed up.
My spring sowing of Bunyards Exhibition are just coming up, about 2" tall, all are fine except 1, which is yellow.  Any ideas?  I think I'll just pull it up and chuck it for the bin man.
best
Mick

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 19:59:55 »
Leave it and see what happens. Mine are fine; they're one of the hardiest crops, so don't worry too much. They always seem to sort themselves out.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 20:30:59 »
But some keel over because something is eating their roots - I have had this. They never thrive. The BBs that have been frosted look terrible, but they come back, so don't destroy them.

elfdread

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 15:57:15 »
Watcha All,
I've chucked the yellow bean, wasn't going to risk it being a disease running through them.
best
Mick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal