Author Topic: Chitterlings.., tripe , offal and such stuff. What do /did you eat?  (Read 23963 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Oh yes..something else I just remembered.. ;D Blood crepes...just like normal pancakes but instead of milk, its made into blood. Bloody lovely.. ;D and eaten with lingonberry jam. Unfortunately not something you get in this country but again..everyday stuff in Finland.

Oh dear, I think I'll stop reading this thread now.  Just the thought of eating blood pancakes is making me gag.

Me too Betty!!

goodlife

• Hectare
Code: [Select]
had a look on google images because I really could not picture blood crepes.  They look scary - like black puddingYes, suppose they are bit scary. I don't like black pudding..its quite 'heavy' where as blood crepes are much 'lighter'.
Here is pic of the 'halloween' food.. ;D http://www.maku.fi/resepti/veriletut

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
I like Liver, kidneys, heart, never tried tripe though, cold fat, haggis, black pudding, sweet breads, I like most things, apart from trotters, swede (cooked only) dont mind it raw,

PAULW

• Acre
Used to get elder "cows udder" in the chippy when I lived in Lancs nice with a bit of vinegar

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Lambs liver and kidneys, black pudding, haggis, chicken livers in a ragu sauce, hard cod's roe and that's it unless I don't know it's in something someone has cooked for me  ;) I can eat cods roe but not the coral in a scallop, strange.

Ninnys

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
had a look on google images because I really could not picture blood crepes.  They look scary - like black pudding
Yes, suppose they are bit scary. I don't like black pudding..its quite 'heavy' where as blood crepes are much 'lighter'.
Here is pic of the 'halloween' food.. ;D http://www.maku.fi/resepti/veriletut

I'd like to try those!  In fact, that looks like an interesting website.  I don't know anything about Finnish food.

Google translate makes a pretty good job of it, but Goodlife, could you help with the Finnish words that it can't handle?

5 Portions

3 dl of blood (frozen)
3 dl of water
1 dl barley flour
1 dl of rye flour
1/2 onion
1 pc egg
25 g of liquid margarine (80% fat)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

For frying
25 g of liquid margarine (80% fat)

Mix together the thawed blood or water. Whisk until the flour and allow the dough to swell for 20 minutes.

Peel and chop onion. Add the onion, egg, fat and spices, batter for the crepes.

Bake lettupannulla small blood pancakes.

Serve immediately puolukkasurvoksen blood pancakes and mashed potatoes.

goodlife

• Hectare
Sure I can help.. ;)

Bake lettupannulla= fry with pancake pan...just fancy pan that has several small 'moulds' in it to make little round pancakes..just normal small frying pan will do, but make the pancakes slightly thicker than you would do proper crepes.

Puolukka survos is 'mushed up' lingon berries. Usually we just crush the berries slightly with fork to get some juices out and mix some sugar to cut down the tangyness...perfectly good substitute for that would be cranberry jam, though commercial ones can be much more sweeter than what we would sweeten the lingonberries to.

BTW..I've never done that with that recipe...instead barley I've used fine oat meal or instead of rye...whole meal 'ordinary' flour. And I've never used any marjoram.. :o..well..Finland is big country and each areas has their own recipe for them..my family comes Easten Finland, near Russian border so our cooking is influenced by Karelian and Russian tastes.
I've just looked into my OLD (100yrs) Finnish cookery book..and in that the recipe calls milk or beer instead of water as on the above recipe...and fine oatmeal and rye flour...beef dripping or lard instead of margarine...and rest of the recipe is more and less same, even with marjoram.. ::)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:20:35 by goodlife »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Here is picture of lettupannu  http://www.kokkiman.com/shop/ruoanvalmistus/pannut_padat_ja_kattilat/lettu-_ja_blinipannut/prod__4401_Heirol%20Lettupannu%2023,5%20cm%20valurauta

What a great pan.  Could do separate eggs for everybody at Sunday breakfast with a big crowd too?  Looks very useful. 

goodlife

• Hectare
Here is picture of lettupannu  http://www.kokkiman.com/shop/ruoanvalmistus/pannut_padat_ja_kattilat/lettu-_ja_blinipannut/prod__4401_Heirol%20Lettupannu%2023,5%20cm%20valurauta

What a great pan.  Could do separate eggs for everybody at Sunday breakfast with a big crowd too?  Looks very useful.

Yes, suppose you could use it for that..only thing is that those rings are not very deep so big eggs propably would end up all over the place.  I've got one but much smaller..it has got just four rings on it. Its heavy iron one..I had such a fun of getting in over here in my luggage.. ::) ;D

meter rat

• Not So New ...
Not been on for a while, so have only just come across this. Question for Good life, Where near Ilkeston can you get blood from, either frozen or dried?

goodlife

• Hectare
Not been on for a while, so have only just come across this. Question for Good life, Where near Ilkeston can you get blood from, either frozen or dried?
Um...now then..I cannot help you there. I've never tried to find any blood while here. I go back home once a year and over there you can by dried blood from almost any shop...it is just mixed into water and whisked untill smooth.
Usually I bring sachet or two back with me and its enough for what I need.
I ask around and see if there is blood supply anywhere near here...watch this space.. ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 17:02:54 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
I just made blood order from the weschenfelder site.. ;D Ohh..I'm going to make some blood pancakes soon.. :P

pumkinlover

Cheers Goodlife, I've bookmarked the site as Mr PKL doesnot like the artificial sausage skins!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
My favorate rissotto is chicken liver (chicken and chicken liver) . Its delicious and very cheap to make. and they go really well into stocks and to make a stew or meat dish taste richer. try them you might like them.

I have little bags of chopped pig or lamb liver in the freezer to make quick  starters, i fry it with some oyster sauce and serve with toast or bruscetta its gone in seconds. really yummy.

I really think the repulsion isl in the look of them.

Moneys tight and offal is cheap and nutritious and sometimes more tasty than some meat cuts.

Ive eaten elephant, buffalo, ostrich when i worked in south africa as a ranger from culled wild animals. Taste just like beef!
 feeling hungry now !
x sunloving

x sunloving

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Sounds a bit like dirty rice

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

pumkinlover

Sounds a bit like dirty rice

I often think that about mushroom rissoto but a well made one is lovely.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
You know I might just make dirty rice tonight, I haven't done it for years.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal