Author Topic: Crisped toms?  (Read 1753 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Crisped toms?
« on: May 27, 2012, 20:58:46 »
I have a few tonight, so please be patient with me folks.  :-[

First one: I've started potting my GH toms onto their big and final containers. Most of them are healty and doing fine. 3 are drooping, 1 has curled up leaves, kind of like they've been too cold. One of the wilters has the same curly leaves. Have they been too hot, maybe? All the problem toms are "Amish Paste" from realseeds. The rest are Dr Carolyn from the same. GH temps have been 14-16C minimum and about 30C max, although I did get 37C yesterday when I wasn't about to open the door, just relying on 1 autovent.

I first noted this on Thursday 24th and they've not been right since.

Should say they were quite pot-bound when they were potted on, too. Can get a photo posted tomorrow if needed.

Beanstew

Re: Crisped toms?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:12:09 »
I have just put my tomatoes into their final positions in the greenhouse.  These plants were not pot-bound, and were planted into bottomless florists' buckets in Tomorite bags.  Even so, the plants flagged - because the root ball was not sufficiently developed to meet the plant's water needs, with auto vent, louvre and door open.  To reduce stress, I also shaded with fleece for the hottest part of the day.  If your plants were pot bound, they will be in the same position until the roots grow out into the fresh compost.  Curling leaves are often a sign of too big a differential between night and day temperatures - so I think your plants will be fine in the long run, but I would try to reduce stress until they get established, and the roots can meet the plants needs.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Crisped toms?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:07:28 »
I've read that leaf curling is an attempt by the plant to reduce water loss.

It's been hot and windy here over the weekend and you can see it on the toms that have been planted out.  But it doesn't harm the plant.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal