Author Topic: due to a cold and wet spring, will your plot be a failure this year ?  (Read 10966 times)

green lily

• Hectare
Spuds in poly amazing ;D outside poor but PFAs from TPS are loving it....
peas tall and lots of pods but not swelling ??? brassica ok and under various net benders, outdoor toms under impromptu plastic poly, runners best of climbing beans, all curcubits pale and languishing even indoor ones. Chilies, peppers etc slow although indoors-no sun. But sun forecast for next week so hopefully all will be transformed. PS Weeds are FANTASTIC and love it.... :P

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Sweetcorn starting to liven up a bit
Beetroot and Parsnips coming along nicely
Peas starting to get some pods and have resown more
Runners are up
Brassicas looking sad
Strawberry's ripening
Cherry tree looks a no no
Eating new spuds and winter onions
Cucumbers, Tommies and Sweet Peppers looking healthy in my back garden
Celeriac slow but healthy.  ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gaz2000

• Half Acre
Not the best year on the plot this year but not the first,shared by some other plot holders also.

Spuds and onions are great,peas and corn struggling on.

Courgettes and pumpkins are contemplating giving up,with not only the wet weather of late but also the sudden heatwave we had very briefly.

Atleast mr severn trent and mr thames water have a much harder job of raising the rates with all this rain,there tears alone filled a few resevoirs.Softens the edges i guess  ;D

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
My daughter lives in London Ontario and tells me the farmers there have lost 80%of their apple harvest due to a very sharp frost as the fruits were setting.
                            qahtan...

And we are trying to grow runner beans, huh joke, at last the squirrels have left a few, but they are pitiful.
 And the wind is blowing off what apricots and plum there could have been...
 sad, sad, sad.  q

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Started to clear my allotment for next year
rotting spuds, onions bolting, ect ect, its been a disaster
but will 2013 be any better ?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:59:38 by jimtheworzel »

non-stick

• Half Acre
Sweetcorn is sulking and hardly moving
Squash and Courgettes hanging on but only just
Garlic's got rust
Carrots very poor germination so far
Parsnips ditto
Runner Beans dont look overly happy so far

Having said that soft fruit is doing well with some excellent redcurrants so far. Loads of Blackberries and Gooseberriess to come.
Spuds growing well - just hope blight stays away
Broad Beans are ok - blackfly aside
Peas and Mangetout did well - those that I could the pigeons off that is
Onions and Shallots doing OK
Brassicas growing well and no whitefly yet.

Bit of a mishmash really and I'd like a bit more warmth and a bit less wind and rain

But then there's the pigeons -  blooming things!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Here it is still raing, almost constant now for several weeks baring the odd day. I haven't been tio the plot for a week as we are ankle deep in water but there are two days more rain forecast then at least 12 days of sun so am hopeful everything is hanging on.

It has been a very bad year for rain here, the worst I remember. They say in BC we get 1 hot dry season in three, well this is the third wet season so maybe it nmeans we get three wet one dry..so roll on next year.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

qahtan

• Hectare
 We finally had a decent down pour, though a bit late for the garden, no apples
a few plums not sure what they will end up like, lots have  been blow off by the winds we have had.. hardly any pears, blackcurrants, tomatoes look terrible as do the runners. shallots are almost ready to lift but quite small.
 we have picked about a pint of loganberry's.
the temperatures we have been and still getting about 30/32c with humidity it is about 40c'
To buy local raspberry's . they are $5 half a pint.

I did buy some nice apricots today, California, a very good price  $1.98 lb
so I bought half a box, 8 lb. so that give s me a few to freeze.
we normally have a good crop from our trees but not this year.
 Sorry to sound like a moaning minnie, it s just that it ticks you off some times..

:) :-*            qahtan   

pumkinlover

What are the apricots like Qahtan.
 Over here they are never that nice, except I had some at a buffet the other day and they were gorgeous. It made me realise what they are supposed to taste like. :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
First batch of sweetcorn now looking healthy, second batch starting to get going.
Brassicas weird misx... brussels and Kohl Rabi at home thriving, someof the cabbages on the plot are doing OK, but then the next one in the row just lokos like it is bolting...
Peas on the plot ravaged by pigeons before I realised, peas at home doing OK, more peas sown in module strips......
Cut and come again salad doing OK in module strips and pots, a few lettuces that are still in a shelter now picking up
POtatoes... someproblems with contamination again, but quite a few now growing away well.... blight worry on HBR...
Fruit at home... well the strawberries ahve been nice but the earlies are finished adn the ever-bearers haven't started, started to get some first year raspberries and realise I need to be more brutal with their training and pruning next year. First blackcurrants (woohoo)... will make somejam and freeze some compote for yoghurt...
Toms and peppers in GH... just started to get some cherry toms, the odd one every feqw days or so.... the rest look pretty healthy but they're not very big yet, peppers look KO, starting to set, might well try to track down soe Sweet Banana seed next year, the bought plants I've got are well ahead of everything else adn they've done that since planting out... The few Gigandas in teh GH are miles ahead of the ones outside, startin gto set...
Outdoor beans are not too bad all things considering, some of the earliersorts (San Antonio, Mennonite Stripe) are starting to flower.... forgotten how pretty Mennonite Stripe flowers are.... a lovely fuschia-purple...
Parsnips adn celeriac on the plot seem to be happy, shallots and onionslook OK so far, the nuclear option of washing all my trays and pots with arimllatox whilst stood on the bit where I'm growing onions this year might well have paid off wrt the white rot.... hoping that the garlic trick has worked under the spuds... will find out next year when i put some onions in there....

Not been too bad, but I got lucky with the weather in March coinciding with when I could get stuff done.... plot onesweeds are not thriving, I got a lot of them out in March and it's now jsut hoeing.... plot two will get the treatment later.... but with the soil loosened it's easier to hoe down the fallow areas, doesn't take 15 minutes to do the thing, but the weazther keeps allowing the weeds to re-root... but they're weaker every time , hopefull a stale bed will be achieved soon....

qahtan

• Hectare
 the apricots I bought, Californian, were just as delicious as you would expect, sweet and a good size.. about 2 pound 75 a  pound. normally 3 x that price, but then I don't normally buy them as we usually have a crop  from the garden,, this is some of them, sweet, good size and lovely. the two trees that we have were grown from pits many years ago...
one of them is a a rather flattish fruit quite big, the othe is more round and a bit darker, could maybe be like a Van.
qahtan

qahtan

• Hectare
 this is a sinkful waiting to be washed, pitted  and poached ready for freezer,,

to eat and enjoy in the winter..  ;) ;) qahtan

pumkinlover

Glad things doing ok for you Chriscross

Those apricots look great Qahtan!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Picked 5 or 6 lbs of gooseberries today, plus a couple of ponnds each of blackcurrants and raspberries, 4 lb of strawberries, they all taste a little watery but I'm sure they're full of vitamins  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Noticed yesterday that blackcurrants are getting overripe... compote and jam sessions coming up soon.....

qahtan

• Hectare
 Our blackcurrants really need picking.for juice and jelly. don't grow raspberries and strawberries, and gooseberries just don't wanna' grow here. My brother has one bush he always seems pleased with the fruits, but to me they are miserable
maggoty little things. I would dump it, but he say's no' they are all right... to each his own...  :) :)  qahtan
still hot and sunny, down were our daughter live, London, Ontario it was 37 c
 45 with the humidity'

qahtan

• Hectare
 picked the  blackcurrants this morning,, made jelly,, qahtan

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
yes!!  i am just one ot the maney

qahtan

• Hectare
Have just spoken to my daughter Karen she lives in London Ontario, she said in the market
clingstone peaches a 3 litre basket $8.99. thats 3x the price of last year, I suppose due to lack of rain.( oh, my goodness, whats rain") and there was a late frost... Bing cherries a 2 litre basket $12.99.. it's going to be a very expencive this year for fruit and veg
 have to see what luck I have from the farmers...... qahtan

non-stick

• Half Acre
Well things have perked up - we found a caulie the other day which was promptly cut and eaten and yesterday Mrs Stick picked just under 24lbs of gooseberries from our two bushes with a few more still to pick.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal