Author Topic: Buying from USA.  (Read 1783 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Buying from USA.
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:29:43 »
I bought some clothes in America  a few years ago which I like.   I have found the makers site on line and would like to purchase some items.
  What are the pros and cons of doing this?  Any advice would be most welcome.  How to pay and are there any risks etc..  Many thanks for any replies.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Buying from USA.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 19:10:47 »
If you are happy with the seller, the only thing you need to worry about are the cost of postage and if duties are payable. In the 8 years I lived in the UK I only paid duty once and that was on a 400 pound sterling order. Check woth UK custome before you order and find out what is likely.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 19:39:57 »
I used to buy a few things on ebay from the US but not any more because of the import tax and the fact that the carrier makes a charge for collecting it on behalf of HMRC.

Royal Mail charge £8, other carriers charge more.

You can appeal the tax if you have an invoice and HMRC are quite good about refunding it (if, for instance, there has been a mistake or omission on the Customs Declaration form) but getting the charge back from the carrier is difficult.

Goods below the value of £15 are exempt (whoopy do!!) from the import tax system and HMRC are supposed to waive the tax if it comes to a piddling amt - but you know with Customs Duty, Excise Duty and VAT the system is very hard to understand.

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider it now unless it was something I couldn't live without.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 19:49:07 »
Thanks for the helpful replies.  I will keep to M and S.   

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:52:40 »
Unless the seller puts in the declaration that its a gift..... but some wont, duty is a killer, and like ^^ said, not worth the hassle unless it is £15 or less

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 15:53:47 »
Thanks for reply.  Thats me sorted.

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 22:14:48 »
We have or should I say should have to pay duty at customs if the customs officer decides to be a b****. and we live 15 minutes from New York , New York, IF we do shop there it's at Niagara Falls New York..  They always ask any cigarettes or alcohol.
 they some glare at my scooter and ask where /when we got it, My husband then gets Cross and says it's a scooter for my wife; she's disable.
              qahtan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal