Author Topic: What weed seeds are killer by composting  (Read 1978 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
What weed seeds are killer by composting
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:00:18 »
I have some grass clippings in my compost bin but has dandelion in will these survive.

I know fat hen and goosegrass survive as well as tomatoes, and curcurbits.

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: What weed seeds are killer by composting
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:26:03 »
I don't seem to get any more dandelions in containers filled with home made compost than I do with ones filled with bought compost so my guess is they do not survive.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:30:23 »
I think most of the seeds can be killed by composting..but trouble is that our compost heaps are not consistent enough with the amount and distribution of the heat..nor we usually achieve total composting process with heat to all parts of the waste so that's why so many seeds survive.
Saying that..the amount of seeds get into my bins, veg and weed, I should have whole farm of tomatoes and cucurbits growing all over place..and yet only odd one will pop up every year.

There is many weed seeds distributed by other means, that for me it don't make any difference if some should survive in compost...not worried.

I've just put load of grass clippings to mulch my squash beds...I'm still piling up all the good stuff to get the beds in 'nutrient rich' condition for the planting ahead.. ;)..and they nicely 'tidy up' all those minute weed seedlings that have popped up after rain..what come up will be killed by mulches.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 17:02:34 »
My dalek composters get all my lawn clippings but not bad perennial weeds like dandelions.. However my beds do grow good tomatoes and tufts of lawn..   but hey the compost is good for the ground and its easy to weed the toms and lawn out!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal