Author Topic: Asparagus  (Read 7069 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Asparagus
« on: May 11, 2012, 22:46:33 »
Last year there was loads of asparagus from April onwards. I normally only pick my asparagus until the end of the first week in June, but with it being a bit cold this year, its only just starting to come. Does this mean I can crop a little later? Any ideas?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 09:58:48 »
I wouldn't if I were you, just live with it as being a "bad" year for asparagus, make sure they get some fertiliser  and a good watering regime.... it'll build up the plants for future years.... probably best not to compoupnd a bad year by making it hard for the plants in future.... it's not a crop for the impatient..... My new bed should have been cropping this year, but a few spears is all I've had cos of the weird weather.... so they'll get some BFB and a mulch and I'll see them next year...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:28:21 »
Hm..I tend to think same as Chris...but..I think you just have to keep eye on the situation..it your plants keep pushing abundant amount of spears when 'picking season' should officially come to an end..I don't see no harm harvesting some for few weeks longer..as long as you do leave plenty to feed the crown!!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 15:48:13 »
I renewed my (very old) bed two years ago. Last year the fronds grew well but this year - not one spear!!
Is it the end?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 18:24:37 »
I renewed my (very old) bed two years ago. Last year the fronds grew well but this year - not one spear!!
Is it the end?

Nope...they are just terribly late. I thought mine were coming trough..but they've come to a stand still. I can see teeny tips just on surface but they have been like that for weeks now.. ::)
Have you had a look bellow the surface at all..?...you could carefully 'brush' some soil off and see if the buds are there and waiting for the warmth.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 18:48:33 »
I'm having trouble with slugs and snails eating mine - don't have many so finding what would have been a beautiful fat spear is very frustrating!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 18:56:35 »
We had our first proper cut yesterday... as you say they showed their noses in the really warm March thenjust sulked..  :-X

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 16:17:31 »
goodlife,
I do hope you're right! I've been reading about 'rot' so got worried.
I would have a 'furkle' but with the hail & it's p*ssing down now, if I can get on the plot/mud tomorrow - I will.
Spend all day yesterday with the rotovator fitted with finger tines, glad I did, as it may help with seed sowing at last (if the weather will only calm down & warm up!!)
 >:( >:( >:( >:(

Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 16:43:36 »
sorry but it's going to be winter till end of June... according to some of my elderley customers..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 21:26:42 »
Its V. cold and dry here [and my daughter gets married on Friday!Brr] but I've been stuffing myself on asparagus for weeks and trying to give it away...But I do try to treat it well and I gave it a feed of blood, fish and bone about march time... ;) ps  it likes seaweed meal..

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 21:52:53 »
One crown managed to send 4 decent spears up this week, but the others are still sleeping. This is the first since mid April. One warm week would be nice. I'm sure there are hundreds waiting just below the surface.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 09:24:32 »
My asparagus bed is about 10 years old, very slow to get going this April, regular pickings at the moment, but still coming up really reluctantly. I am certainly going to prolongue the season to the end of June! I think these big old plants can take it.

I am really surprised at the width of the crowns now: I have two rows of 10 with a pathway between them, separating the rows by some regulation planting distance I now forget - and there are spears coming up in the middle of the pathway.

What surprises and annoys me is the few very spindly stalks turning up. These are male hybrid crowns that have the very occasional berry - so are these seedlings? The normal spears are very fat.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 13:29:32 »
I do agree with all the comments re slow growing, I thought it was just mine! 
According to Bob Flowerdew keep harvesting established asparagus until the shortest day with the intention of leaving five spears to grown on, if more spears appear harvest and enjoy.  This has stood me in good stead.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 18:43:43 »
<<< keep harvesting established asparagus until the shortest day with the intention of leaving five spears to grown on, if more spears appear harvest and enjoy.  This has stood me in good stead. >>>

Hope to understand this better: does this mean that each crown is allowed to develop 5 tall ferns from late June, but if any more spears appear you eat them until December??? How fantastic if true....please confirm!

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 23:01:58 »
Now you're telling me what I want to hear.

Bing

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 08:32:15 »
may i borrow this thread and ask if my newly planted and sprouted asparagus crown needs any protection from creatures such as slug, bird, mouse etc please? thanks

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 12:03:32 »
A  few pellets wouldn't hurt when the spears are emerging. Keep an eye out for asparagus beetle... like lily beetle but chequered, and squish any you find as the grubs can defoliate young spears once the fern has opened which will weaken the plants ... the opposite of what you are trying to achieve...  :-\

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 13:05:43 »
I haven't noticed any slugs or snails bothering my plants..but birds like to have a dig around the rootball.. ::)
So now I have old wire hanging baskets turned over the plants..like domes...and that seem to work well...and I can leave them on situ as the stems can grow through and the baskets will support the yound bendy growth against strong winds and little dog paws.. ::)

Davidberry

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 14:25:12 »
The Asparagus I planted earlier int he year were two year old crowns, but I've seen no sign of them yet, do you think I just need to be more patient or should they have started to show by now?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 14:41:06 »
Code: [Select]
should they have started to show by now?

I would hold on and wait..this weather we've had do all sorts to our plants. Give a another month at least before starting to think what to do next..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal