Author Topic: Fiskars weed puller  (Read 5353 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Fiskars weed puller
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:00:24 »
My son saw one of these advertised on TV and thought it could be useful to me. 

Has anyone bought one please and how do you get on with it?  Is it any good and does it really get out those dandelion roots?

Your comments would be much appreciated. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiskars-UK-Limited-009910-Puller/dp/B0002TTRT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336415058&sr=8-1

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: Fiskars weed puller
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:16:46 »
Haven't got one but the only problem I can see is if it doesnot reach all the root then the broken part will regrow especially on dandelions

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:24:04 »

I can see it failing once the soil gets up into the gubbins.      Still it's your lad's cash.     Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 13:56:22 »
There are 142 reviews on Amazon & they seem positive. I only read the first page. I think Manic has one from Lidl or Aldi is pleased with it ;D.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 15:10:14 »
I bought one from Aldi for about a fiver some years ago.   I  use it 2 to3 times a year.  It does not get all the root of some weeds out but does deter them for a while.  The soil and weed is ejected out by the handle.   I would buy it again  but perhaps not at that price.  Visitors are always keen to try it.  Hope this helps.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 16:03:11 »
They look fancy, but maybe in the long run I would prefer something more robust like
Grampa's Weeder.
Anybody know what these are like?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 17:55:27 »
Janet's right, We did get one last year,we're very pleased with it. It works well on moist, soft soil so, not too good on dry, compacted soil but, it does give the dandelions etc something to think about, chops off most of the root. here's a video to show you how it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb1etorm1IE

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 22:58:41 »
Manics, did you buy the Fiskars weed puller or Grandpa's weeder? 

Did you get it a lot cheaper at Lidl?

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 23:05:45 »
I bought the Lidl weed puller £4.99 for my OH and he says it's very good considering the price. It leaves quite a hole after extraction but we filled the holes with the lumpy bits of my sieved multipurpose compost.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 08:36:18 »
Ray bought a grandpa's weeder, too. Men and their tools  ::)  ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:34:47 »
Thanks.   :D 

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 14:58:21 »
OH bought me a Fiskars weed puller for my birthday the other week, and I have had terrific fun weeding with it since! I particularly like the 'shotgun' type action to eject the weed from the device, it is the first time weeding  has been FUN! My son volunteered go do the back lawn for me.....unheard of! ;D ;D 8)

I have the longer extended version as I'm quite tall and it worked a treat getting weeds out of our gravel path. I found it a bit harder to use on soft soil as you need to lever the roots out, and it does remove a decent sized plug of soil as well; however I find you just tread on the hole and it closes up fine.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal