Author Topic: Do you find Organic slug pellets effective  (Read 2494 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Do you find Organic slug pellets effective
« on: May 02, 2012, 17:15:38 »
I was loosing sun flower seedlings, so I applied organic slug pellets.  When back this morning and there was a slug large as life chomping away on my plants.

Useless.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Do you find Organic slug pellets effective
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 17:50:59 »
Digeroo I found the best way was to buy the ordinary pellets but put them in an enclosed container with a hole in the side. It works really well, just check ervery couple of days ;D. I found the best was an icecream container. Now it would be a marg container as no icecream allowed ;D.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:21:59 »
I have used your method to great success, I thought that the organic ones were a good idea.  So its back to the tried and tested method.

I find Starbucks frapuccino mug great for the job, but have not had an excuse recently for an expensive cup of coffee. ;D ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:27:24 »
I've been using the wildlife friendly slug pellets for several years now and find my slug population is reducing each year.  I pick an arbritrary date in early spring that's easy to remember - Ides of March is usual for me but this year spring came early so Vanentine's Day - and go out and sprinkle pellets near all susceptible plants such as hostas, clematis, hemerocallis and daffs and then repeat at regular intervals through spring.

The idea is to get the perishers as they emerge from the soil or hatch from eggs and they then crawl off and die before chomping or breeding.  Little and often works well for me.
Obxx - Vendée France

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:56:06 »
i soak  news papers in the water butt, then put down a pile of blue pellets and put the wet newpaper on top, lift in a few days and scrape off dead slugs, re soak paper add  a few more pellets.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 13:05:10 »
I think that with all the rain this might prove to be a mega year for slugs, and I also have loads of snails in the garden.  The ones with the pretty strippy shells seem to be everywhere.

Its carrots which I loose.  And salads.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 19:46:33 »
Digeroo, why not ask Starbucks for their used coffee grounds. They work brilliantly!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 21:12:59 »
I use the organic slug pellets and find them ok. But they don't have any effect on snails. The snail getting my sunflowers had the wellie boot treatment ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal