Author Topic: Anyone know what these yellow flowers are?  (Read 6337 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: Anyone know what these yellow flowers are?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 06:53:11 »
Fresh 'green' seeds sown straight away from the pods will germinate in few weeks and you'll be pricking them out this summer.. ;) Just scatter on surface of compost on tray and water in.
You will need to look for really plump pods that are just about to break open.

What a shame there's probably some restriction about collecting them and passing them on. ::) ;D ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 07:04:52 »
Fresh 'green' seeds sown straight away from the pods will germinate in few weeks and you'll be pricking them out this summer.. ;) Just scatter on surface of compost on tray and water in.
You will need to look for really plump pods that are just about to break open.

What a shame there's probably some restriction about collecting them and passing them on. ::) ;D ;D

Yes..it is shame..but same instructions will apply for all primulas... ;) ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37:25 »
If there are that many cowslips in the field then it looks as if the council have been mowing it at the right time.  Oxfordshire mow their verges at a better time than Gloucestershire and so as soon as I drive over  the county bountry there are loads of them.  They are not long lived my experiience in the lawn is about three years, so they need to be mown after setting the seed.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 12:10:47 »
When driving around the country I have noticed that cowslips are in abundance on the banks either side of motorways... I think that's a wonderful idea to plant wild flowers in areas like that, at lease no one will be picking/nicking or walking all over them.  I think we should then have swathes of beautiful wild plants (conditions permitting)in places where they can grow and thrive :D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 08:37:11 »
I drive down a bypass every day to work and it is full of swathes of cowslips, fabulous sight ;D
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 09:21:10 »
It must be a good year for cowslips I drove across the cotswolds on a routes I have been doing often for many years and there are loads of them around, including fields full of them, not seen that for many years.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 11:18:57 »
I have a number of cowslips in my garden and paddock.  They seem to come up everywhere much to my delight. 

However, some have, like many of the primula family, been promiscuous and I have ended up with some dark orange ones.  They are very beautiful so I am going to move them into a separate bed. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 20:20:30 »
It's the only primula I seem to be able to grow successfully, as it likes drier conditions than most. Last summer killed a lot of mine off, but some came through, and they seed like mad.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal