Author Topic: compost bin made out of pallets  (Read 3945 times)

CambourneSandra

• Quarter Acre
  • Cambourne, Cambridgeshire
compost bin made out of pallets
« on: May 01, 2012, 11:56:17 »
We just taken over an allotment with chickens. We have one compost bin made out of pallets and next to it just a pile of chicken poo and bedding/newspaper/shredded paper.

I have no idea how to compost, but the pallet bin looks like it is full of twigs and doesnt seem to be doing anything. Do compost bins made of pallets need to be lined with somthing?

I have seen another pallet bin lined with one of those builders bags.
What should I do with the existing piles?

thank you in advance... i did do a search but it came up with so much info i didnt know where to start reading.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: compost bin made out of pallets
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:09:49 »

If you have access to a bench or circular saw, I should try and close the gaps between the 'planks' of the vertical sides.   

You can always dig out the compost, turn it and replace with the occational spread of chicken muck to help it break down. 

Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

CambourneSandra

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:11:52 »

If you have access to a bench or circular saw, I should try and close the gaps between the 'planks' of the vertical sides.   

You can always dig out the compost, turn it and replace with the occational spread of chicken muck to help it break down. 

Cheers,     Tony.
thats great thanks tony, it currently only has three sides, should I add a fourth edge to create a box?

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 13:24:51 »

If you have any spare 1" X 1" wood strip,  nail it up both the inner faces of the bin leaving a gap between sufficient to take the planks prised from another sacrificial pallet.   As your heap grows you can drop these planks in and remove them to access your compost.

Cheers,     Tony.

CambourneSandra

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 16:54:52 »

If you have any spare 1" X 1" wood strip,  nail it up both the inner faces of the bin leaving a gap between sufficient to take the planks prised from another sacrificial pallet.   As your heap grows you can drop these planks in and remove them to access your compost.

Cheers,     Tony.
i think that makes sense, so would you only nail one plank at the bottom and have the other removeable?
How would you remove any of the planks once the bin was full? sorry im new to all this :-s

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 18:04:06 »

I wouldn't nail any planks across the front of your compost bin.  The time will come when you want to clear it all and it is difficult getting your spade down low over a nailed plank.

The compost will rot down so you keep topping up, the compost will solidify (become firmer) and should remain stable when you lift out the planks.

Cheers,     Tony.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 23:40:05 »
You need all sorts of veg matter to make compost... maybe the previous person just used it as a dump zone.. small twigs from hedge trimmings are ok but not really branches.. Here is a previous post... http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,14016.0.html
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

CambourneSandra

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 16:35:00 »

The compost will rot down so you keep topping up, the compost will solidify (become firmer) and should remain stable when you lift out the planks.

Cheers,     Tony.

im sorry im struggling to understand...which planks would i lift out? and why?
The  three pallets i have already in place but no front on it so stuff would fall out eventually

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 19:07:26 »
My feller made a sort of channel  that he could slide loose planks in, on the fourth side so he can slide them out to empty the bins. He's asleep at the moment but, if no one else can tell you how, I'll ask him later  :)

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 21:02:19 »
I've just tied a pallet in front of my 3 sided box with binder twine. Its lined with a compost bag or 2 to keep the drafts out and the main box is insulated. Just untie it when I need to turn or empty it into the one next to it. I've 2 bins side by side, shaped like a letter E and pallet doors tied to each front. One is well wrapped up to 'cook' while the other is open to the rain and all the routine offerings.
But I'm choosy what I put in and 'nasties' are disposed into the council wheely. On a plot I'd burn the branches and heavy twigs or put them to some other use.

CambourneSandra

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 21:36:29 »
thanks everyone.

;)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 22:47:15 »
This is mine made from 2 pallets long x 1 wide.. I just tie one on for the door. I'm making a huge pile of compost over the year to use next time I dig the plot over in the autumn/winter.. Also a good place to let the horse manure get old..

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

CambourneSandra

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 23:03:47 »
thanks for the picture, looks a bit klike mine except mine hasnt got the top or the front. Also after looking for a second time mine is in the shape of an E so 2 section to compost. Just need to sort them out now to get them going.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal