Author Topic: chocolate cake with salted caramel topping  (Read 2028 times)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
chocolate cake with salted caramel topping
« on: April 12, 2012, 13:24:09 »
wanted to share this with ya all  ;D

Oven - 175f
Weigh large 3 eggs with shells on, make a note of what they weigh then weigh out the same in butter/marg, caster sugar and Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoon granulated coffee dissolved in 2 tablespoons of boiling water
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of golden syrup

Put everything in the bowl together an give it a really good mix. Pour mixture into a greased and lined loose bottom tin (or you could make it into cupcakes will make about 18) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, press gently and if it springs back take out of oven, cool for 5 minutes before turning out to cool properly.

Topping
1 tin of condensed milk poured into a sauce pan
2 tablespoons of light muscavado sugar
bring to the boil stirring all the time, reduce heat but keep it on a rolling simmer for about 15 minutes or until it starts getting thicker, remove scummy bit at the top then add half a teaspoon of sea salt MUST NOT be table salt (too salty), pour into bowl (will still be runny but thick)and let cool. maybe worth leaving over night it will be very thick by then.  Add about 150g of icing sugar and whisk together it will be really thick and creamy now spread all over the spong cake and sprinkle with chocolate bits.

Not this topping will not hold any shape but does set and is very complimentary.  ;D

Alimo

• Acre
Re: chocolate cake with salted caramel topping
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 23:07:27 »
The topping sound fab - thanks, will make this next week as a treat  ;D

Alison x

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 18:35:06 »
Gadget, I made this today.  The cake was fine, but the  caramel topping - well . . . . . .   by the time it had cooled   somewhat, it was too thick, especially after adding the icing sugar.  I used less icing sugar than you said as I could see it would be too thick!  I just had to dump it on top in splodges, , and it didn't stick very well.  But it tasted good.  I've given the recipe to both my daughter and d-in-law, both of whom love salted caramels.  I'll wait and see what they make of it.
I did enjoy finishing off the tin of condensed milk though - I love it! It was my favourite ever since we had it on bread after the war!

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:00:55 »
Peanuts, sorry your carmel topping didn't work, the other topping you could use is this one:

Salted Caramel Topping
115g Butter
220g  Dark Brown Sugar
60ml Whole Milk
254g icing Sugar, sifted
half teaspoon Salt, for topping

1. In a sauce pot, combine butter and brown sugar and turn heat to medium heat until comes to a slow boil. Add milk and bring back to boil.
2. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar. Use a wooden spoon to stir until powdered sugar is fully combined and mixture is creamy. If the mixture has some clumps, then strain before using.
3. Let cool for 2-3 minutes before pouring (all) of the mixture on top of the cake. Sprinkle immediately with sea salt . Let set up, around 10 minutes

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 11:13:25 »
Thanks, Gadget, this sounds a bit like the caramel sauce I used to make to put on ice-cream when the kids were young, which was lovely and very more-ish.  I must say I did like the  little bits of salt in your icing, and in fact put just a little more than you said.  So a sprinkle on top might be nice.  I used coarse sea salt.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 14:25:50 »
Thanks again, Gadget!  I've just made a 'traybake' sized chocolate cake (except that mysteriously I found an egg in its shell on the worktop when I got the cake out of the oven! Must have used one less than I thought, but the cake is still OK!)  I then did your alternative icing, which has worked a treat.  So here is my first attempt, which  failed but tasted delicious, and then today's attempt.  We've 25 French friends coming for a musical evening and a bring and share meal afterwards, so  this is one of my contributions.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal