Author Topic: Well i can't sleep so i have decided to .....  (Read 7791 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Well i can't sleep so i have decided to .....
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 15:23:26 »
oh no good plan :) how easy is it to do??

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 16:24:09 »
It's quite easy to get started, there's a decent introduction here for example http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20010547-82/how-to-self-publish-an-ebook/

Sales are obviously a lot more tricky, the guy I know actually published several ebooks under different aliases, giving him experience and seeing what would sell. He then concentrated on publishing under what appeared to be the most popular alias, gave quite a few away as he found that readers could become quite loyal and go on to purchase his back catalogue and future releases. I know he's not making a living from it, I don't think that was the intention, but his sales have now mounted up to a few hundred dollars a month.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 23:43:17 »
This thread looks as if it is going to be vibrant and oh so interesting....

The UK version2 storyline sounds fascinating almost science-fiction.  :)

June - My mother is writing about her childhood and later years. She is 92 but does not want to finish her story. She reckons it must continue all the time she does....(she is pretty superstitious).

When the war came along she was a court dressmaker but enlisted to make kit bags on an industrial machine - the other girls pinched her work during lunch-breaks and stitched their own tags into the bags so her "peace-rate" pay was lousy. She requested a move and ended up "on the buses" with a huge number of takes to tell from Blitz time London!!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 09:08:44 »
This thread looks as if it is going to be vibrant and oh so interesting....

The UK version2 storyline sounds fascinating almost science-fiction.  :)

.. thanks :) i am going for that level of Sci-Fi that makes you think actually that could happen husband though the story about the stand pipes was a joke as i have that in the book as well :)

June - My mother is writing about her childhood and later years. She is 92 but does not want to finish her story. She reckons it must continue all the time she does....(she is pretty superstitious).

When the war came along she was a court dressmaker but enlisted to make kit bags on an industrial machine - the other girls pinched her work during lunch-breaks and stitched their own tags into the bags so her "peace-rate" pay was lousy. She requested a move and ended up "on the buses" with a huge number of takes to tell from Blitz time London!!

Sounds interesting and i know what she's means but if writing it down is superstitious then what about popping it onto a tape and putting it with her will?

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 09:19:11 »
It's quite easy to get started, there's a decent introduction here for example http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20010547-82/how-to-self-publish-an-ebook/

Sales are obviously a lot more tricky, the guy I know actually published several ebooks under different aliases, giving him experience and seeing what would sell. He then concentrated on publishing under what appeared to be the most popular alias, gave quite a few away as he found that readers could become quite loyal and go on to purchase his back catalogue and future releases. I know he's not making a living from it, I don't think that was the intention, but his sales have now mounted up to a few hundred dollars a month.

Right i have that on my list of things to read :) very excited this is not about making money i am pretty crappy at writing poor use of grammar and the miss use of there, their etc but i have the need to get this out of my head :)

Yes i was going to write the 2 books under 2 names as one is aimed at the teenage reader and one the adult. For the teenager i am aiming at the group that reads eoin cofer books like Artemus Foul intelligent does not dumb things down for the young reader but takes the time to explain why things are how and why they are. I however suspect it will be more sci-fi as it involves a group of teenage over achievers who are head hunted by the government to plan a underground city which is to be used in case of emergency. The city is made in a hollowed out welsh mountain and let just say something goes a little wrong :) i have not quite decided how wrong hehe NOT going down the whole zombie route though so don't worry :) But i was thinking that this would then be used in the 1st book to house the people when displaced from the resculpting of the UK. Then again i might just knit the 2 stories together and do something else for the teenage market :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 10:10:39 »
The world is your oyster at your finger-tips.......... you really could go where ever you choose with this idea. Sounds really exciting.

Do you have a brief outline story plan? Once you have this in mind you can decide upon an ending so have a target to work the story towards. Things, including the conclusion, can change on the way but it might give you a structure to work through.

I'm so pleased zombies are out of the picture.  ;)  They are generally a mindless bunch.  :D  ;)

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 11:55:14 »

Hi Aden roller.
It is so interesting to hear about other peoples lives I think,I had a free childhood  and was left to roam where ever I wished , I had so many adventures,
not like the poor children of today who never seem to play out ,Oh they miss so much I think. your mothers life sounds very interesting My mother was on the buses to, she was one of Birmingham's first lady clippies, she went through all the Blitz of B''ham, and had some near misses.

Cambourne keep it going .also anyone else who has a story to tell ,
   June.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 12:53:44 »

Hi Aden roller.
It is so interesting to hear about other peoples lives I think,I had a free childhood  and was left to roam where ever I wished , I had so many adventures,
not like the poor children of today who never seem to play out ,Oh they miss so much I think. your mothers life sounds very interesting My mother was on the buses to, she was one of Birmingham's first lady clippies, she went through all the Blitz of B''ham, and had some near misses.

Cambourne keep it going .also anyone else who has a story to tell ,
   June.

Wow what a coinsidence.... I can remember spending summer holidays sitting with a ticket on my mum's bus as well as waiting at a bus stop for my dad's to come along then crouching low in the cab while he drove. These days no parent would leave a little-un stood standing in London for the next bus to come along.

As you say... how childhood has changed.

There's a title in this somewhere: Changing Childhood  ;)

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 13:23:11 »

Yes it is a pity the children of today don't have the fun we did .and yes it is a coincidence. I remember my mother bringing a little black and white kitten home. it followed her home doing a raid we. called it blitz. I am sure your Mother has some tales to tell to.

June..

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 13:31:55 »
Cambourne 7,Sounds a very interesting storyline, and could make  an exciting drama for TV!  My middle son wrote a book last year and published it through Amazon for Kindle.  He used to send me a chapter every few days to proofread.  When he gets time he plans to write the next in the series.  Keep going with it-he was like you-had the story in his head for years and just wanted to share it!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 19:14:11 »
Good for you Cam.. try to see a copy of the "Artists and Writers Yearbook " for this year, the library probably has a copy.Look it up on Amazon, bound to be there. I think there is one specifically for authors of childrens stories now( not so in my day). It will give you a list of publishers and what they are looking for.. a real good read. I found it very useful.

Go for it gal,pace yourslf and just work at it when you fell like it..don't push.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal