Author Topic: Florence fennel  (Read 1774 times)

cestrian

• Half Acre
Florence fennel
« on: April 29, 2012, 00:34:23 »
Florence fennel is like marmite. My wife hates it but I love it!

Lightly steemed and crunchy with subtle aniseed flavours! mmmmmm!

Anyway I bought some seeds off thebay and not sure what to do with them. I'm tempted to plant them in pots in the greenhouse, but could I plant them straight out when the rain calms down?

Also, what type of soil do they like? Do they need much fertiliser?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Florence fennel
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 07:37:29 »
If I were you I would wait a while as most times an early sowing induces bolting.
I would also sow them direct. Water well and don't let them dry out and you should get a good crop.]
I grew some lovely fennel last year but they all came together so you only get a few crunchy meals. Did try freezing some for soup but it discoloured. Perhaps it would be better to cook it and freeze just for flavouring soups and casseroles
Here is a shot of mine. Like ai said all the same

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:47:52 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:56:51 »
I agree that its best sown later. My understanding is that it looses the inclination to bolt after the summer solstice. Maybe try sowing some now and some later. Either way - a word of warning if you haven't had home grown fennel before. Mine tastes much stronger than any I've had from a shop and to be honest its too tasty to use as a simple veg. I use mine stir fried with ginger and garlic for a great Chinese flavour.

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 19:25:49 »
I like the sound of too tasty. If you don't plant the seed until the end of june when do you harvest fennel?

Can I start them off in a tub in the greenhouse and then move them outside in June.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 19:43:48 »
My d.i.l. slices the fennel with beef tomatoes, makes a dressing of garlic, olive oil and salt, wonderful  :P

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 20:17:19 »
I sowed some Bronze Fennel last month into a pot of compost outside by my back door (a sunny sheltered spot ) and they are all coming up already .  This is for my flower garden though ,where it can grow splendid and tall . I agree with Winecap about sowing the bulb type later on . I love it finely shredded into my salads .  :)
Trespassers will be composted !

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:18:21 »
When we were in Tunisia in March teh chef came out with abig tray of roast fennel. Guess who ate too much ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal