Author Topic: Spring Onions  (Read 9536 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Spring Onions
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 10:55:07 »
I may have to resort to faffing with my parsnips and carrots ala chriscross.  All this rain has made the soil so cold and so far no germination - wait and see I suppose!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 11:36:31 »
I dont know who it was, but could have been another forum....  :P he was sowing in clumps? and what he said made sense to me anyway, he sows in a clump, make sure he weeds it well first, then they come up faster than the weeds, and he pulls them up as a clump, I mean you very rearley just eat one or two dont you? seems like a good idea?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 13:34:27 »
I tried it all and still fail. Tried in modules this year, there were seedlings but, when I planted out they all died, even though they were under fleece. Out of a direct sown row there are about 3 onions growing... Luckily I still bought sets as usual. I just conclude that I am not able to grow spring onions, which is a shame as I like them.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Ananke

• Not So New ...
    • Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 21:15:31 »
I'm not having much luck with spring onions either.  I thought maybe it was the seed as it was a year or two old so i've bought a new packet and tried again the other day.  Sowed them in mpc in a plastic tomato punnet, fingers crossed.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 22:12:31 »
If you are not having much luck with spring onion why not try growing Welsh Bunching Onion.
Once you have them established the you only need to split the bunches and transplant them to create more bunches.
When you need onions you simply dig up a bunch take off what you want and put the rest back and they will grow on.
Iff you are up my way (location in profile) i will willingly gave you some i would even consider paying you to take some.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Ananke

• Not So New ...
    • Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 23:51:43 »
I've heard about these bunching onions, think i'll give them a try.  Shame i'm a bit further North than you Davy.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 00:05:47 »
If you're prepared to wait, Davy's onions will eventually spread enough so we can all benefit!!  ;D ;D ;D

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 11:59:16 »
I have some ONION BUNCHING (SPRING) - TOKYO LONG WHITE - 1200 SEEDS I got for 99p seem to be doing fine.... without the faffing!!

It could be the soil that's your problem with the onions? try and replace some of it, and see what happens? you have nothing to lose by doing that have you

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 12:20:02 »
 When sowing spring onion seed, do you cover them?

(wondering if this is where I'm going wrong ::))

Debsl

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 12:50:38 »
Code: [Select]
It could be the soil that's your problem with the onions? try and replace some of it, and see what happens?Now wouldn't that be lot of 'faffing about' when you can germinate loads of seedlings in a bit of compost and they will grow fine once plonked into soil. Replacing some of the soil sounds like much bigger job to me.
It can be the soil..and it can be pest..it can be due local environmental conditions...or it can be any combination of any of the things and many other things too.

The main things is as long as we find the way growing that suit us, the soil and conditions so we actually benefit from it. For me the benefit of sowing indoors and transplanting out weighs the sowing 'straight'..so much so that I prefer to do it with many other crops too. It is not anymore time consuming than the way you do it..but instead it gives me more opportunity to 'play' with timing of my crops and get full benefit of the space what is used.
I actually just thought of this thread other day when we had heavy lot of hail belting down to ground..it damaged many plants that was already outside..as well would have spoiled seed rows sowed 'straight' in ground ..but instead I was looking at the downpour and feeling smug about it that my seeds and seedlings were still inside of the safety of the GH..otherwise I would be doing it again.. ::)

Code: [Select]
When sowing spring onion seed, do you cover them?..yes..but only 'just'.

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 12:52:11 »
I didn't cover them, but i think its would have been a good idea though, as it has been cold lately, and could affect the germination rate and success

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 20:19:21 »
If you're prepared to wait, Davy's onions will eventually spread enough so we can all benefit!!  ;D ;D ;D

Not quite yet but getting there

DAVY

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 20:35:07 »
If you are going to sow spring onion seed direct then the two main factors you need are moisture and a bit of warmth.
As most seeds we plant germinate in the dark quicker there is nothing wrong with covering them. If i were to do it i would do it the same way as i do my parsnips, with lengths of wood. The wood will keep the soil moist so no need to water, make the drill a little deeper than normal for the onion to stand then all you would have to do is check them every couple of days.

Some times gardening is a learning curve on what meathod suits you.

DAVY

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 10:30:58 »
There is definitely something I am doing wrong, as sets work fine, I get lovely onions and garlic so it can't be the soil. I would love to do onions and shallots from seed as sets are so expensive, but if I direct sow they don't germinate and I tried indoors then planting out and they all died  :(   I don't really  know where it goes wrong. For info, I also have trouble with leeks in the same way and so usually end up buying plants to plant out. I have direct sowed some this season and so far they are rubbish, just little grassy bits so far. I tried some indoors last week, but I expect they will be quite small to plant out, sowing them this late. Last year I ended up planting out leeks found in a garden centre, end of August! Actually they did OK but I think June is really the better time.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 20:44:57 »
If you are have so much trouble then all i can recomend is you get some Welsh Bunching onion

DAVY

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:34 »
Thx Davy, they look really nice!! Where would I get seeds for that? And do you have the Latin variety name as I need to look for the French equivalent :D  Are they like chives, in that they will come back every year?

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 08:55:55 »
Ah a quick wiki and I answered my own question! It's called "Ciboule" here and I have eaten it many times! I think I know someone who might be able to give me some  ;)

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 23:17:58 »
Antipodes, have you tried Ishikuro spring onions in modules? I sow them in the 12 or even the 20 section modules in a cold GH, 9 or ten seeds per section, and usually 6 or seven germinate (an average 'pulling') Plant them out when they have hardened off and the rootball is quite compact, each clump 5 or 6 inches apart and you can pull them at any stage, even leave them to grow the size of small leaks, at which time I make a spring onion and potato soup which is delicious.This variety is so versatile when grown like this, I have never had any success any other way. I think the secret is to keep them in the modules until they have a good rootball and are a bit sturdier.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 09:50:38 »
Hmm maybe that's the way to go -  or maybe I need to fleece or cloche them? As I have no GH and am in a small flat it's hard to find a way to grow them under cover.

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2012, 19:36:43 »
Yes I must be a faffer to!   ::) I have clay soil in my half allotment and find it is invaluable to be able to sow, harden off then plant out in my clay soil

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal