Author Topic: Any German speakers??  (Read 2796 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Any German speakers??
« on: April 28, 2012, 10:00:20 »
Translate won't accept, so please....help??

= Tim

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Any German speakers??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:08:00 »
We have found pirated music (illegally downloaded) on your computer. .. or words to that effect!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:45:18 »
We have found pirated music (illegally downloaded) on your computer. .. or words to that effect!

Oooh Tim what have you been up to ?
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
sanity is overated

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 12:21:37 »
Grawrc's translation is spot on!

Don't want to scare you but please be careful.  Who sent you this and what are they trying to get you to do?  As just about everybody might have something or other on their computer which could come from a possible pirated source (youtube clips etc) this sort of statement applies to just about everybody.  It is unlikely that anybody has actually scanned your 'puter.

I hope you will get much more qualified advice from those in the know.  But .....  if what follows is something like 'here is how you can pay and make your downloads legal' ie an attempt at getting money from you, then this is fraud.  Please be very careful, I don't like the sound of this.  Are your anti-virus etc defences up to date?  

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:27:55 by galina »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 13:22:34 »
Great advice - thanks.

No idea how it got in - it's only on Daughter's account. Nothing to do with music!

We're trying all sorts of remedial action.

XX Tim

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 13:26:14 »
My advice Tim is to ignore/delete - no need to respond..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 13:57:04 »
Message from one of Tim's sons: Turns out my father's computer has the Vundo.PR trojan which throws up a pop-up with stuff in German requiring him to pay for illegally downloaded music.  It's only affecting my sister's User account on the computer so my father can continue to use the computer. Looks like he will have to reformat the hard disk to get rid of the blighter, so I'm currently looking into how best to do that... having saved all the files first of course.  Btw, he's very grateful for all your help!  Gray

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 14:14:40 »
Hi Tims son - I wouldn't go as far as too reformat unless you have tried all other avenues first as getting all your settings and apps back as they were can be a pain.
I would download and run malwarebytes and do a full system scan with something like Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials.
Malwarebytes - http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button
MSE - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials
Info on virus family - http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Win32/Vundo
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 17:47:54 »
Sorry not to have acknowledged sooner. Been deep into backing up etc & waiting for our full scan - started this am - to end.

I'll report back!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 20:38:00 »
What a day!!

12 hours of Microsoft Essentials & we have lift off. But it did not present us with the viruses found for us to remove them  - just seemed to remove them itself.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 23:05:43 »
I'd still run malwarebytes, in safe mode, with system restore disabled. 1 or 2 restarts later you may well end up with the same problems all over again. I wouldn't be satisfied with MS Essentials' scan, especially if nothing was flagged. Fine for real time protection but detection and removal IS malwarebytes. It's free, frequently updated, no strings attached and takes about 15 mins to deep scan my system.

To quote my geeky uncle, who gave me my first computer, a zx81, at my tender age of five - "Malwarebytes is the KING of virus removal".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal