Author Topic: Lidl - rain barrel pump  (Read 5411 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Lidl - rain barrel pump
« on: April 27, 2012, 23:10:45 »
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//SID-B0D7C418-7F863B71/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_30661.htm?offerdate=&idcheck=true&ar2=&ERR=IDNOTFOUND  (the link does work!)

Has anyone any experience of such a thing? I have six barrels - all overflowing now of course! I am finding it more and more difficult to lug full watering cans to my raised beds and wonder if £30 would be a good investment.

Thanks for any advice.

Tricia

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Lidl - rain barrel pump
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 00:07:09 »
Only if you've got power to hand I'd have thought... can't you run a piece of hose to each bed and have a local tap for each?

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:05:57 »
After the experience of a friend, I would not buy anything electrical from lidl.

He bought a crepe maker.

After 20 minutes of use it went bang and blew it's fuse.
Looking at the tools that come with it, it was clear that it had alreday been used before and then returned, and when he took it back again, they were not interested that it was faulty, they just wanted to make sure all the bits were there so they could sell it again  :o
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:43:21 »
A crap maker!! :P
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

picman

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 09:23:11 »
U should take the usual outdoor electrical precautions...RCD ect...  I used a 12v bilge pump (apx £20) from marine suppliers,attach the hose with a jubilee clip ,drop it in the butt and connect to a switch / battery , quite safe and will move water even dirty water very quickly ,ideal down the plot ...  

http://www.force4.co.uk/4565/Whale-Orca-500GPH-Bilge-Pump.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:35:18 by picman »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 09:34:27 »
After the experience of a friend, I would not buy anything electrical from lidl.

I am quite a lidl fan but also not keen on their electricals.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 11:15:30 »
Thanks everyone for the input. I have RCD electricity in my shed so power is not a problem. I am also a Lidl fan and have bought many electrical products over the years with few problems. The last one was an electric toothbrush which failed to charge after a few months. (Money back - no problem.)

I think I will buy one as the problem with my left elbow isn't getting any less painful and 'they' are having difficulties making a diagnosis so I don't think it will get better any time soon and the garden must still be attended too somehow!

I'll post back - I can always return the pump within 28 days if I'm not satisfied.

Tricia

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 16:33:45 »
They sell water butt pumps at B&Q. I run mine off a small generator. Wouldn't be without it.

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 18:26:08 »
I have a submersable pump from lidls it is the next size up to this one, I have had it for four years and it sits in the water butt all summer I use it to pump water up to the waterbutts by the greenhouse never had a bit of trouble with it and a lot easier than carrying cans of water.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 21:33:46 »
I've got a hoselock pump which is invaluable except it only has one speed which is great for emptying barrels into the pond but too fast for watering beds and plants. Money well spent as I can't lift things any more and the pump has allowed me too play all sorts of irrigation games by refilling the necessary butts in the poly and around the garden. ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal