Author Topic: Dill  (Read 1379 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Dill
« on: April 30, 2012, 18:23:34 »
I want to grow some Dill. I could look on google but thought I would ask on here as it may help someone else.
Is it annual or perrenial and when do you pick it for gherkins
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Dill
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 19:24:17 »
Dill is annual and best sown straight to the ground.
For cherkins I pick dill flowerheads while still in bud and some of the ferny leaves as well...you can use all parts above ground..what ever takes your fancy, but the flower buds are niiice.  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 19:30:34 »
http://www.finnguide.fi/finnishrecipes/recipe.asp?c=9&t=&p=177.. I've never used red currant leaves myself..but always young black currant, that will give lovely flavour.
And short pieces of stem of the plants are nice too..dill leaves tend to go little 'mushy'.
http://www.vastavalo.fi/maustekurkut-kurkun-sailontaa-304769.html
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 19:34:40 by goodlife »

Ananke

• Not So New ...
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 21:42:40 »
I forgot that they don't like to be disturbed and started mine off in a 3" pot, transplanted them the other day and they seem to be doing ok.

Last year they collapsed at soil level and I was advised that it could have been the job of the carrot root fly so will be planting them in a high bin this year, hope all this replanting doesn't result in another failure, I love dill.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 21:55:51 »
I sprinkled a pinch of seed each into a few fibre pots. When the roots were showing at the bottom, I transplanted them into bigger pots, they're doing really well  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal