Author Topic: Where to plant my Raspberries?  (Read 1627 times)

David P

• Quarter Acre
Where to plant my Raspberries?
« on: April 24, 2012, 22:34:42 »
Hello all,

I have 5 raspberry canes to plant out.... Autumn Bliss.  I am just not sure where to plant them in my allotment?

Next to a hedge where some raspberry plants once were (not really in full but sun but better soil) or in a new spot in the middle of my allotment (not much shelter, full sun though and clay soil.. have put sand, compost and strulch in the bed ready for the plants)

HELP!!!!

Dave

gerbera

• Half Acre
Re: Where to plant my Raspberries?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 22:46:06 »
I'm no expert....but I'd go with planting them next to the hedge. They like to spread out over time (my own rasp-bed arrived thanks to a neighbouring plotholder!). Putting them in the middle will give them lots of space to spread. They'll forgive you a bit of shade; at my old place, I grew mine in the only spare space, under the partial shade of a holly tree, and had a fab crop every year!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 23:12:15 »
Doesn't matter... they will wander off over the next few years...  :-X

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:09:41 »
I read that raspberries shouldn't be planted in the same place for 7 years. It was in Hessayon's fruit book.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 07:56:38 »
When I first took over my current plot, the canes were in the middle.  They took over everything left and right, also putting some of the ground in the shade and it was difficult to weed beneath and around the canes.

Mine are planted in their own bed at the end of the allotment then they are out the way of the rest of the plot.  I have a path on both sides so i can harvest from both sides.  If you plant them on a hedgeline / perimeter then you may only be able to harvest 1/2 the crop.  Wood chippings are used as ground coverage and mulch below the raspberry plants and between the path.  Apart from pruning, the area is permanently maintenance free all year round ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:18:20 »
Doesn't matter... they will wander off over the next few years...  :-X
When you cut them down each year just just use a spade to cut off and dig up any that are out of line, this will keep them tidy.

You can't do this on both sides if they are up againt a hedge so they will eventualy pop up the other side of the hedge.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:21:07 »
Thank you for posting this thread-it's helped me to decide the best spot for mine!

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 19:41:35 »
iv got 5 rows of them on wire with a paths work a treat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal