Author Topic: Gardener/handy man  (Read 1420 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Gardener/handy man
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:35:46 »
What is the going hourly rate for the above?   Does anyone have experience of employing one?   Thanks for any advice/information.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Gardener/handy man
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:10:54 »
I got one last year when I was completely redoing my garden. He charged £16.99an hour initially now up to £20 an hour.

He comes about once a month April- October and we always work together in the garden. It means things that would take me weeks get done relatively quickly. He doesn't do the basic maintenance stuff like hedges, grass and weeds, although I'm sure he would if I asked him, but he took my hedge down from about 9 feet to just over 6, keeps on top of rambling rector on the pergola and will happily work with me to design and plant up new beds. He also gives me great advice on keeping things healthy, pruning etc. He's dug out loads and loads of huge shrubs and trees all of which have gone to new homes with friends who have more space than I do.

My garden had become a bit of a wilderness since my husband died 5 years ago. We had always gardened together and I found it really hard to go out there on my own. Now with my gardener I am getting back the garden I used to have but even better than it was. He's a real treasure. I suppose the trick is to find one that works well with you. Mine was recommended by a friend.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:02:31 »
Sounds just what I want.  Would he catch the train to Brum?
Seriously this is what I need.  A pond taking out and a rockery either removed or renovated. Shed painted etc..
I too lost my husband 4 years ago and he was always the brawn, and quite happy to be so.
So I hope I am as lucky as you.
Many thanks for the reply and best of luck to both of us.

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:39:43 »

Hello Tomatoada
If you go on the Freecycle cafe where you live [thats if you have one]
Sometimes other people can recommend a gardener/ handyman.
I hope this helps you
   June

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 14:56:35 »
Sounds OK.  Will try it.  Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal