Author Topic: extreme temperatures  (Read 3588 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
extreme temperatures
« on: February 21, 2005, 15:31:39 »
I put my new min-max thermometer in my mini plastic greenhouse last Thursday, just out of curiosity.

On Saturday, I checked it. Min was down to -0.5C (not surprising). Max went up to 33C.  :o It was very sunny on Friday and I keep it closed the whole time in the winter.

Will this be detrimental to the plants? Should I open it during the day?

In it there are a new rose bush, autumn-sown sweet peas and various hardy periennial seedlings (most Aquilegias) that I sowed in the autumn.
gone to pot :D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: extreme temperatures
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 15:37:48 »
I put a few sub-tropical plants in one and they turned to mush or mould, I may try a few seeds after February passes, but I'll be keeping the door open during the day. ::)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 15:48:25 »
Not surprising! NO greenhouse is immune.
Nothing likes ups & downs, but they are especially bad for propagating & seedlings. And not much help to toms etc.
Don't know, but wouldn't have thought that your other things would come to much harm.
Common sense dictates here, I think. Do what you think sensible, like ventilate, when you can. Even to add some more insulation at night? But you don't want to be ruled by the thing?  
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 15:51:43 by tim »

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 17:10:19 »
you can by a gadget from garden centres etc which opens and closes a ventilaion window depending on temperature.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal