Author Topic: Morrison's New Grocery Revamp!  (Read 3598 times)

irridium

• Acre
Morrison's New Grocery Revamp!
« on: April 19, 2012, 13:49:36 »
Don't know if this is the right section to put this in...

Last week, went to Morrison's in one of our leafier suburbs in Nott'm (Gamston) where I came across a really expansive array of fresh veg displayed in ole style rustic barrow-type tables. i couldn't believe my eyes when i noticed various lettuces of colour, leaf type were being pumped with a mist (keeps in their freshness, apparently!). there were allsorts there - globe and jerusalem artichokes, chicory, cut herbs in water sold by weight, celeriac, heritage pots....what bowled me over were the ethnic section. they had water chestnuts, lotus root, tumeric, galangal, chinese chives... plantain, and quite a few others i never came across...

i was wondering if i could grow any of the root veg and see what will come of it (tumeric, water chestnut, galangal)? if i gen'd up on their suitability with the UK conditions...

has anyone noticed this in their Morrison's?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 14:44:28 by irridium »

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Morrision's New Grocery Revamp!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 14:05:44 »
oooooh..interesting..must nip into our 'local' branch and see if they have done same. Now if my memory serve me right..turmeric and galangal you can grow same as ginger..but you will grow them in warm windowsill or in GH...chinese chives are easy (if they come with roots) they grow just like chives and are perfectly hardy outside.
Lotus roots... ???..as far as I know they are like water lilies..indoor pond? ;D Jerusalem artichokes.. ::)...I could sell them by the bagfulls..
Most interesting news...

irridium

• Acre
Re: Morrison's New Grocery Revamp!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 14:31:33 »
i wouldn't know if your neck of the woods would have the market for it, as Gamston in Nott'm is lets just say a bit nicer than the other branches that Nott'm has to offer, but I can't quite imagine the more unusual veg (v. ethnic as in prob from all corners of the world!) would sell particularly well. it was on a Sat. when i went and it all looked v fresh and well-displayed. it gave a more open-market kinda feel to it. nice n' airy, big amounts all loose, but also at a hefty price tag too... think the globe artichokes, rightly thinking were £1.99 each! so goodlife - ring up and check before you make that special journey... ;D

there were lots of others but i just can't quite remember them all.. i do know that i will go back once i know what can grow in the UK. if only i had the internet working on my phone at the time!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 14:44:12 by irridium »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 20:18:44 »
I've heard of people growing turmeric in a pot in the greenhouse, but I don't know anythng about the others.

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 20:33:20 »
I've been to one of the revamped stores (Portsmouth) and there's one near-ish to my mums (Cheadle Heath, Stockport). It's certainly an experience! I thought I was well versed in unusual fruit and veg....but had never heard of some of the produce on offer....the Jelly Nut was one which made me giggle! They stock a wide range of decent flavoured heritage toms and potatoes too.....but the trip ended up costing me a small fortune! I was rather disappointed with the PFA tatties I bought, which seemed to lack the lovely flavour I am used to from GYO or decent farm shops.

It's well worth visiting one of the stores....if only to marvel and admire what they are trying to achieve. Just make sure you keep an eye on the prices! Morrisons is giving Waitrose and Booth's a run for their money with this new approach.

Interestingly, when the new Portsmouth 'Mozzers' opened, our local store (about 10 miles away from the Portsmouth 'revamped' one) started stocking a few more exotic varieties (galangal/turmeric etc). I'm guessing they are experimenting in the more 'local' stores with some of the produce with a longer shelf-life.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 20:38:58 by gerbera »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:55:37 »
I would grow your own, don't be fooled by Morrisons produce, their buyer must come from up north as he/she has burnt their taste buds away with to many vindaloos and Morrisons produce has no flavour at all.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 17:23:39 »
Tried ours, no joy but at least the kid in the fresh department knew what I was talking about... he did say they were planning on putting a bigger Morrisons into Swindon soon so fingers crossed for next year...

CambourneSandra

• Quarter Acre
  • Cambourne, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 18:29:25 »
our morrisons here  in cambourne has just had a refit and includes all the new produce with misting machine :-)

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 21:03:49 »
Going to Morrisons in Scunthorpe tomorrow on the search for oatmeal.Drew a blank at tescos and waitrose so the house speciality parkin is in peril. Will see if the new wonder refit has come this far north.....

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 10:55:54 »
resisted the temptation to try the unknowns, and went with a 10p tumeric and a 47p galangal. they're potted up the unheated g/h and hopefully, this time next month there might be some shoots showing...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal