Author Topic: Is my garden big enough for an apiary...  (Read 2431 times)

Spireite

• Half Acre
Is my garden big enough for an apiary...
« on: April 24, 2012, 22:11:40 »
Hello All, Ok, so my garden isn't actually an Allotment, so I hope you don't mind me intruding into your allotment space ::) I have recently moved to a house in North Hertfordshire...with a garden ;D It is about 60 feet long and 25 feet wide, and nice to have such a blank canvas.  I have always fancied beekeeping, but know that I would have to learn off others and basically do a course to learn the husbandry.  However reading some of the beekeeping threads on here I'm not sure that my garden is actually large enough. Plus there is a (very well used) public footpath (especially by runners, cyclists and families)  running along the bottom of the garden.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Is my garden big enough for an apiary...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 23:10:33 »
You need a barrier at the end... so the bees rise above the path users...  :)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:05:06 »
How fortunate you are!  That's a lovely sized garden, and quite big enough for a couple of hives.  As saddad says, you'll need to plant a hedge or install a fence so that the bees don't establish a flight path just at head height for passers-by.

You should also be aware of the risk of theft or vandalism.  Ideally your beehives should be discreetly out of sight.  That also helps with vexatious complaints, otherwise every local mosquito bite or nettle sting will be blamed on your bees!

Hazelb

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:22:17 »
I'd suggest contacting your local Bee Keeping Association. Mine did a great introductory course and had a training apiary where you could do all the practical stuff. You also learn all the up to date methods of controlling bee diseases.

..I could never get the hang of spotting the queen though!  ;D

Then I found out I was allergic to the stings.... :-\

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:53:00 »
Thanks for all the replies...sounds like it MIGHT be big enough ;D, There is currently a not very thick hedge of hawthorn and bramble (plus a few weeds!!) between me and the path, but we were thinking of putting a larger shed and a greenhouse across the bottom, would a shed wall act as an ample bee screen to guide them up?
I have thought of joinging the local Beek Assoc, (looked them upon the web etc), maybe if I join I can invite a member to my garden to give me practical advice on the layout of my garden and which plants/shrubs to plant :)
My fatherin law suggested placing one INSIDE a shed with a funnel/pipe for them to gain access in and out...much more discreet for the neighbours, my inlaws used to keep bees up in Yorks when my husband was younger.

Hazelb

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 16:42:46 »
...in a shed sound interesting, but I'm not sure about working on the bees in a confined space.

I didn't need to join my local association, I just contacted then and they told be when they were holding a beginners course. We did the BBKA syllabus for the first stage bee keeping exam..I loved it!  A course meant we got up to date information and loads of people we could phone up for advise if we got stuck.

I'm sure someone would be happy to have a look at your garden and advise. There is a lot to consider when getting a hive.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 19:55:46 »
You can keep bees inside a shed, but they're best where the sun gets on the hive for at least part of the day. If you can grow your hedge to about six feet, and make it thick enough for people not to be able to recognise the hives, that would avoid problems. Or maybe put the shed between the bees and the path?

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:22:30 »
I wasn't TOO sure about the inside a shed idea, but it looks like it will take me at least 2-3 years before I'm ready anyway  :-[  I can plan though :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal